f8
    Iso 250
    Name:  Hippo Reduced.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  594.3 KB

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Wayne, nice to see you venturing into the Wildlife Forum, cool opening post, nice to see a Hippo.

Looking at your techs, yes you can shoot at low SS, but as you had plenty of ISO then going 1/1000+ would not have been an issue and avoided any soft images, especially with the 2x on. You have some nice detail, especially of the eye, is this a crop or FF? I quite like the warmth of the evening light, but the blue is too dominating and pushed, evident in some artifacts at the front of the nose. Being angled your DoF will drop, so going with a faster SS, say f/11 and upping the ISO would not have hurt, do not be afraid to push the ISO.

If you can, it's always good to add your thoughts to other images, even just what you like or don't it doesn't have to be too technical, so if you post a thread we suggest, that you post say three comments, plus it's good way to build on the Forum.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve,

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated. It was very late in the afternoon and most light had faded hence the slow shutter speed, but you are correct I could have upped my iso easily, so should have done this. Didn't even think of going to f11 due to light but again could have cranked up the iso. There is a small crop but not much, the bugger basically filled my frame.

I must be honest I have been wary of commenting on other peoples posts as i am a beginner, but you are correct in that i can still applaud good posts.

I will participate more thank you for pointing that out.

Cheers

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Wayne, I shoot with the 1DX MK3 & the R5, so we are both shooting with the 'same system' so to speak, but as I said, don't be afraid of pushing the ISO. Provided the image is exposed well and you check the Histogram in you camera for exposure and ensure you don't clip the blacks & whites you should be good, just make sure you push as far to the right on that histogram as possible before blowing the whites.

I must be honest I have been wary of commenting on other peoples posts as i am a beginner, but you are correct in that i can still applaud good posts.
    Full understand, just perhaps say what you like & don't like it's all good, or just ask a question, remember we have ALL been beginners, it's just some of us are a little ahead of you in this journey.

I will participate more thank you for pointing that out.
    Just go for it, have fun and enjoy your photography...

BTW where are you based, in SA?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve

Durban, where abouts are you?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Durban, where abouts are you?
    UK, but have been to Kenya, SA & Bots many times and have made some great photo contacts/guides in SA, but they are based more in Cape Town or Jo'Berg, but then fly wherever doing Photo Tours.