Thread: Prothonotary Warbler

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Prothonotary Warbler

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken last week. It was pretty heavy overcast at the time so I was using a flash. It had lightened up some when the bird landed on this branch in a more open area so I'm not sure how much affect the flash had.
    I didn't need to remove anything from the background. A minor amount of sharpening applied with Topaz DeNoise. Straight size reduction. I didn't have to use audio as I have found a nesting sight.
    Nikon D500, 500mmF4VRII, TC-14EIII
    f5.6, 1/1000s, iso1000

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice Jack I always enjoy shooting these guys ,very colorful. Nice when you can find a nest site. Mine have always been near water actually the cavities have been in standing water. Like the background colors and clean. Really nothing to complain about. Handled the yellows well are easy to blow out. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jack, nice close up of a beautiful species (one I don't have in my portfolio btw). Great look, and getting it even with the sensor helps the view from beak tip to tail.

Love the eye and the detailed look at the lores. Bkg is very pretty, although I'm a bit indifferent on the vertical striations on the right and would love to have the whole perch in focus.

Very pretty. TFS.
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 05-09-2021 at 04:26 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely done Jack! I like the detail in the yellows and the pose is nice. I do wish the perch above wasn't OOF and you had a touch more DOF. Still nicely done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done as noted above. The yellows of the head only look a bit enameled to me ... Yellows like this are a lot easier in softer light. Can we assume that they breed by you?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see the bird in the open. Framing and color look right on.