Thread: Snail Kite with extracted snail meat

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snail Kite with extracted snail meat

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on 3 May 2021 at a lake near my home in central Florida while on a flats boat. I used the hand held Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS lenswith the Sony FE 1.4x Teleconverter and The One, the Sony Alpha 1 Mirrorless digital camera (while standing –double gasp!). ISO 2000. Exposure determined via Zebras with ISO on the rear dial: 1/1600 sec. at f/5.6 (wide open) in Manual mode. AWB at 7:18:39am on a clear morning. Center Zone/AF-C was active at the moment of exposure and performed perfectly.

Learn more about the creation of this image and see a wider version made by a friend 90 seconds before in the blog post here. Along with a nice photo of me and my very tall friend Clemens Van der Werf.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome and appreciated.

with love, arite

ps: hand holding at 840mm is not something that I do regularly, especially from a rocking boat.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the head and the snail..... have some reservations over the second tarsal on the right foot, has there been some monkeying around? I ask because the there is a soft outline and then a hard outline.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Detail is killer. Love the red eye. I like the framing. Nice light as well. Great view of the snail.

4. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I like the head and the snail..... have some reservations over the second tarsal on the right foot, has there been some monkeying around? I ask because the there is a soft outline and then a hard outline.
    Thanks, Jon. The screen capture here shows the original toes. I am not seeing any great differences in the original post and the screen cap. IAC, you and many others here have much better eyes than I do :)

with love, artie

ps: the right foot is well beyond the plane of sharp focus.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 05-06-2021 at 03:13 PM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,
    I too see what Jonathan is seeing. It looks like you used a hard brush when cloning around the toe so the edge loos super sharp compared to the original.
    I like the snail partially extruded from the shell and that glorious red eye.Great light.
    My biggest bugaboo is the crop.
    It feels awkward to my eye. Not sure what you were working with in the OP but I would like to see a 4 x 6 horizontal that includes the entire bird.
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gail, I love front-end verticals just like this. At 840mm, I was not fitting the bird in the frame. See Clemens' image on the blog.

with love, a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I dont care about the feet, you did not say the crop but I guess you were close because the DOF is the problem for me.
    I shoot wide open at f5.6 on 500pf, it has a lot DOF than this unless you were right in top?
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

love the close up and the view of the snail. the detail on the snail is phenomenal and trade mark of the A1.

when cloning I'd feather the brush and also feather the edges of the mask to avoid the "cut-and-paste" outline look

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gail, Jon, and Arash. I went back to the original and with the feet magnified, can see the ugly sharp edges. As Arash suggested, I need to improve the crude selection techniques that I used to protect the toes.

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    I dont care about the feet, you did not say the crop but I guess you were close because the DOF is the problem for me.
    I shoot wide open at f5.6 on 500pf, it has a lot DOF than this unless you were right in top?
    This is the full frame image. I was maybe 20 feet rom the bird as it landed right in front of us. With the eye so sharp, and the snail meat too, I could care less about depth-of-field. In addition, with me struggling to hand hold at 840mm I did not want to give away any shutter speed or use a higher ISO.

Assuming that you meant "a lot more depth of field." (rather than what you wrote above), there are several factors involved including these:

1- With the size of the bird in the frame being constant, a crop body like the D500 will always offer more d-o-f than a full frame body as you were farther from the subject. The greater the distance to the subject, the more the d-o-f at a given aperture.

2- If you were using a D850 with your 500 PF and made an image at f/5.6 with the subject the same size in the frame, the d-o-f would be identical. Note that you would have had to be a whole lot closer to the subject at 500mm to get the bird the same size in the frame as I did with 840mm.

with love, artie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice frame. With the Snail.

How about cropping the image eliminating the perch completely?

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post
    Very nice frame. With the Snail.

How about cropping the image eliminating the perch completely?

TFS
    With the a1 files that is a good suggestion.

with love, artie