Thank You Posts

Default Wheatear

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 at 800mm
    f/8
    1/1000
    ISO 640

These guys have just arrived to nest in Scotland from Africa....I wasn't sure of the perch to start with, but it grew on me...it's the top of a very old fence post.... from the area I was in, I would say the perch will be hundreds of years old. BTW the name Wheatear is nothing to do with wheat or ear...it means White Arse....From the white rump they show when flying. HH..ACR and PS2021.

Will

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Will, thanks for the name explanation, so interesting. I think the bird gets "lost" atop the fence post so i'd be interested in more of the post to "anchor" the bird. IQ is wonderful and colors are spot on!Pretty handsome guy, is this a male, any gender difference for feather pattern?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp and well lit with a sweet background. Perhaps a small crop to the top of your signature would eliminate the most-of-focus near edge of the perch ...

with love, arite
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot Will, I have no reservations whatsoever.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The perch works for me. It's weathered enough. I wouldn't have guees it was a fence post. Nice how the bird's feet are gripping it. The background is killer.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, haha I LOVE the name explanation. White arse - that's hilarious.

So yeah, your usual great detail shown. The pose and the attraction of the eye (check out the lores) help all causes, even though the perch is definitely not the worst I've ever seen.... Sharp feet too, nice!

Enjoy the smooth neutral bkg, although I see a good bit of posterization. Any ideas why?

Great job mi amigo!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys..appreciated.....This is a male bird Ann...The female is similar but lighter coloured feathers....I'll post one later, I have a few of them. Hi Brian posterisation bugs me big style....I really don't know how to prevent it or remove it...Tried all sorts ....I think different shades and colours seem to have more than others....Even without the use of any NR, it appears in the BG on some of my images.....any tips would be appreciated.

Will