Thread: Scaly-breasted Lorikeet

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Scaly-breasted Lorikeet

Attached Images Attached Images

Sitting at the nesting hollow keeping the egg layer company.
    R5 600 f4 III 2x III RF/EF adapter resting on fence in the backyard
    1/500 f9 iso1600 auto +0.3ev
    As is from camera except for removing a dark blob from the BG, NR BG only, unsharp mask
    DxO raw, PS2021

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin, a nice subject, but overall I feel its a tad dark and the plumage colours a little muddy. Getting some more exposure into the image in the original capture and or in PP and getting some more Green via the Tint slider in the WB begins to expose some of the initial colours captured. The nest is a nice natural perch, but perhaps a little dominant as presented???? Shooting the R5 you need more SS, often more than you think, so don't compare the 1DX MK3 with this body, otherwise it will bite you, I might increase some of the sharpening on the subject.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Colin, a nice subject, but overall I feel its a tad dark and the plumage colours a little muddy.
    Getting some more exposure into the image in the original capture and or in PP and getting some more Green via the Tint slider in the WB begins to expose some of the initial colours captured. The nest is a nice natural perch, but perhaps a little dominant as presented????
    -- On my MacBook Pro it looks to me the way the bird looks in real life.

Shooting the R5 you need more SS, often more than you think, so don't compare the 1DX MK3 with this body, otherwise it will bite you,
    -- Between a rock and a hard place here, more SS would have pushed into a higher iso with too much noise, in my experience with the R5 so far. I've tried for some days to get a near respectable shot of this.

I might increase some of the sharpening on the subject.
    -- Trying to avoid the dreaded crunchiness!!

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Between a rock and a hard place here, more SS would have pushed into a higher iso with too much noise, in my experience with the R5 so far. I've tried for some days to get a near respectable shot of this.
    Hi Colin, I've shot between 6400 - 9000 ISO on the R5 and when exposed correctly the noise isn't an issue , but IMHO 6400 is possible the optimum, this is where either your 1DX MK3 comes into play if you still have it. With more 'customisation' on this particular body, I've changed my overall set-up, so I have one less hurdle to jump through on exposure and now rarely use Auto on this body, the MK3 is still set for Auto. BTW have you updated the firmware?

-- Trying to avoid the dreaded crunchiness!!
    That will be dependant on several factors as you know Colin, but if the original is pin sharp and your input figures with USM are not excessive like 1+ for radius...

-- On my MacBook Pro it looks to me the way the bird looks in real life.
    Just my take, but on a MBP you have a tilted screen which will vary the look on screen depending on your position, it's always best to use a desk top monitor for PP where possible. How do you calibrate the screen?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

6. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the extra brightness in Steve's repost, but I love the comp and overall feel of the image. You got much better IQ here than on many of your more frequent posts, so this shows that you can do it! The perch may be big, but it is wonderfully gnarly. Good BG.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice and sharp. Cool the bird is hanging around the nest. The red bill and green go great together.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for commenting.
    Thanks for the encouragement Daniel, I will probably post less but better now.
    Steve, yes firmware is 1.3. Thanks for the re-post, much better, I am too tolerant. I see a bird in the shade and don't think it looks dull, it was just shaded.
    I do use a desktop for processing and again it looked OK to my wide tolerance! I will think more about presentation. I've actually set 6400 iso as the upper limit on the R5.
    No the 1DX3 went to pay for the R5 which was possibly a silly mistake as it negated the tax deduction for the R5! Still have the 5D4 body.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colin yes way better than some posted lately. I have seen some nice post from you in the past. Don't get discouraged as I have had my share of problems too. Everyone here is great at helping. The repost is better as the original was too dark . Love the nest cavity.
    Maybe I would have been at 7.1 I don't think f9 helped very much and would have given you some more shutter speed and maybe would have added more blur in the upper left corner. Great subject matter and colors nice to see . TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

much much better than the other shots you posted.

It's not tack sharp but a big improvement. I think this proves it's not the camera ;)

I like the bird, the large perch overpowering the bird, not so much....

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colin the current firmware is 1.3.1.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes Steve I had noted that but haven't bothered because the one item didn't seem it would involve what I do with the camera.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    much much better than the other shots you posted.

It's not tack sharp but a big improvement. I think this proves it's not the camera ;)

I like the bird, the large perch overpowering the bird, not so much....

TFS
    Thanks, yes I am convinced it is the photographer

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colin, it’s your call, but always wise to update, as not all ‘issues’ are disclosed!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colin, has makings for a great frame. Beautiful bird, I am envious.

I think this one just wasn't one of the sharp ones. You're good enough to make some great frames with the R5.

Fwiw, I have posted several shots recently at 1/400 or 1/500 and I think the R5 can do very well there. However, you've got to be super steady and not every frame will be track sharp most likely.

Were there any others in this series that were track sharp even if the pose wasn't great Colin?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Brian, I was actually standing in a very unstable position and took 180 shots.
    On a steep down slope, one foot downhill the other up and the support fence sloped down so one hand on the controls and the other stopping the rig from sliding down the fence!
    Since it is in my backyard I will make it all more stable to hopefully get a nice series of them raising a family.
    Maybe I do have a sharper shot so will check. Small steps but I was stoked getting this one! AF point had picked out the eye nicely but I wouldn't have been stable enough.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Colin ... finally a decent shot in terms of the pure IQ !!!
    For me the best posting to date ....

Surprised to see you are using DXO ??? Your call ....

Personally I think the RP from Steve is good as an example how the image might look like ...

TFS Andreas

19. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes to much better. Steve's repost is a big improvement. I like the image and the gnarly nest tree but not the part sticking the bird in the center of the. breast. I addressed only that in the repost using a protect + Clone Stamp Technique and a Layer Mask.

Is there any way you can get a clamp with a tripod head mounted onto the fence (assuming that the nest is successful)?

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry Artie, I missed your reply here, for some reason I no longer get email reply notifications. I agree about that piece of wood sticking out.
    So far so good for the nesting and I will cable tie one of my mono pods to the fence for more stability.