Thread: Another northern parula

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another northern parula

Attached Images Attached Images

I've always been a natural light guy. I've never been happy with images from overcast days so I usually just stay home. I'm turning 65 in a couple months so I'm getting
    a little nervous about wasting those days. I purchased a better Beamer to give fill flash a try when overcast. Some of the images in deeper shade are quite obvious but this
    image is a little more subtle. This was at minimum focusing distance, I had to lean back to get the head in focus. I didn't have time to rotate to vertical. This is full frame
    plus in the vertical dimension. I added canvas above and to the left. I know, it's still tight. I removed a couple OOF branches. Processed with DeNoiseAI set at 10 for both
    noise and sharpness. I get the feeling some may still think it's over sharpened. Manual mode with the flash set to TTL, -2ev at 50mm as recommended. Audio employed.
    Straight size reduction for posting. No sharpening applied.
    Nikon D500, 500mmF4VRII, TC-14EIII
    f5.6, 1/1250s, iso640

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jack:

Flash skillfully applied, not obvious, which is the goal! I do feel it is a bit too sharp, but the contrast induced by flash can give that effect. A bit too large in frame as mentioned.

Background shows some chroma noise like artifacts. Did you use the color reduction in DeNoise?

Keep working with flash, it extends your working hours. I often shoot loons when it is so dark I can barely see them. The success rate isn't high, but occ. you get a real knock out.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, color noise reduction was set at 9. I have to admit I'm not sure why I set it at that a while back. I'm partially color blind so I'm not sure if you're talking about what I perceive as compression macro blocking artifacts.
    Those aren't present in the full size file....as far as I can tell.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jack:

THe compression artifacts have a purple hue to them, and I should have been more specific. I also see some smaller, localized color variations as well.

I usually go low on the Color Noise reduction as well, often leaving it at zero unless I see something. I have heard various thoughts about what the default should be, usually in the 10-20 range, but I try to keep it as low as I can.

Cheers

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 04-25-2021 at 06:28 AM.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love these little Parulas. Good use of flash; not obvious. Yes, a bit large in the frame, but that's where he was. I find DeNoise tends to oversharpen if you're not careful. All in all, a lovely warbler frame. I'm still waiting for them the get here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You have given yourself a good self-critique!
    I like the great details you are showing in the face and head, such as the hint of yellow on the tips of the head feathers..You are almost too sharp but I am OK with this.
    I too, always back off on the amount of sharpening with Denoise. I find myself using "LOW light" most of the time.
    Color noise is usually zero.
    Flash use looks good.
    My biggest issue with the image is that you were so close, you could not get enough DOF to get the feet in focus.
    The cocked head is fine but a better HA would have been good too.
    Gail

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jack, a little big in frame for me, but a nice capture. Like Randy, well done on using fill-in here, but there is a better product on the market other than better beamer, it's better on set-up and not so 'Heath Robinson' as the BB. Re DeNosie if the image is well exposed you should not be using, or feel the need to use this at such a low ISO.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The flash is well balanced. I like the framing. Yes to more room.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, What other product than Better Beamer are to referring to?