Thread: Arctic Tern

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Arctic Tern

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm seeing the Icelandic Challenge as an opportunity to try and salvage some shots that I had previously rejected. On this one, I hated to delete it altogether because I liked the flight position; but there were several things about it that almost made it an insta-delete. First, it is a very large crop. Second, by the time we happened to drive past this tern colony in a field of Lupine the light had gotten pretty harsh. Third, there was too much detail in the Lupine, such that the tern almost got lost in the clutter. And fourth, there seemed to be some motion blur (or maybe focus issue). I dramatically reduced the contrast on the bird to partially mitigate the light, and resorted to a Gaussian blur to push the Lupine into the background. Topaz Sharpen AI seemed to help with the softness. IQ still shows some indication of the large crop.

D500, Sigma 150-600C @ 600mm, ISO 640, 1/3200s @ f/8 manual.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Well done critique Bill and post processing. Can't beat the BG and i really like the shadows on the inside tail, feet and beak... Glad you joined us!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with Ann here, and what a pose...love it! Well processed, and a great BG.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The background colors make this one. Nice pose. Doesn't look tack sharp too me.