Thread: Snail Kite

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snail Kite

Attached Images Attached Images

Dot and I went to the west side of Lake Parker last evening. This is one of the images I captured of Snail Kites. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm F/5.6 VR AF-S ED PF HH
    1/2000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 720 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Topaz Sharpen AI
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe:

Nice to see a snail kite. Well exposed overall, like the intense downward stare, do wish the head was rotated a bit more our way. Not seeing a lot of detail in the head and body, more detail in wings. Probably related to the low contrast of feathers on the body/head area.
    How big of crop would estimate this to be?

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Joe:

Nice to see a snail kite. Well exposed overall, like the intense downward stare, do wish the head was rotated a bit more our way. Not seeing a lot of detail in the head and body, more detail in wings. Probably related to the low contrast of feathers on the body/head area.
    How big of crop would estimate this to be?

Cheers

Randy
    Hi Randy, thank you for viewing and commenting. Pretty big crop, also last evening was gray and dark, cloudy all day. Very flat light, exposure had to be raised. I agree, not the best but now I know the Snail Kites are easy to find and photograph there I'll be going back often in better light.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe:

Because the light was cloudy/soft, I think you could increase the mid range contrast a bit, which did show a bit more detail on the body/head. Not perfect, but better to my eye.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Joe:

Because the light was cloudy/soft, I think you could increase the mid range contrast a bit, which did show a bit more detail on the body/head. Not perfect, but better to my eye.

Randy
    Thanks Randy, will try.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is always a good day when you see a snail kite!
    I do wish the head was rotated towards us.
    Nice light.
    I think the big crop had hurt the IQ of the image somewhat but a solid frame nonetheless.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The kite looks concentrated on getting some snails. I don't mind the lack of eye contact.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I mind the lack of eye contact :) You did rather well in very tough conditions.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.