Thread: Pileated Woodpecker Potential Nest.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pileated Woodpecker Potential Nest.

Attached Images Attached Images

This fella has been busy these past two weeks digging inside this tree cavity. I am hoping the female chooses this site to nest as it is in a perfect spot with no obstructions, and as you can see here, the hole and the area around it has lots of character with the larva tracks, and scratching around the entrance. Already dreaming of seeing chicks poking their heads out...common mama woodpecker, you know which nesting site to choose!! Here the male was watching a merlin that was flying by.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, small crop to help the comp, toned down the bright trunk.
    Last edited by Daniel Cadieux; 04-18-2021 at 03:52 PM.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel, great story and thanks for the note about watching the Merlin!

AFA the image, so cool. The subject and the opening draw your eyes but when they want to wander, there's a world of natural art to enjoy. Very nicely composed.

Also, this has a very natural, grainy feel to it which I enjoy. One thing you might try (totally could hurt or help) would be running DN on just the eyeball for effect... just an idea.

TFS my friend!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is a real work of art for a tree! It looks as if the bird used an axe on the top of the hole. If they use this one -- good luck, I would surely visit but for the fact that Canada is C-L-O-S-E-D (for all the good it it s doing ...)
    Sharp with a perfect exposure and head angle. And the beautiful image design.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great find Dan....I would be at it 24/7 It looks like the Woodpecker is posing for you, looking proud of the work he has created....The colours on the bird work so well with the colouring on the tree ....Lovely detail throughout ...Brilliant work all round.

Will

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow Daniel, fingers crossed for you, this is a gem of an opportunity if everyone cooperates. Love the interests on the trr, and the head pose is wonderful.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this composition Daniel. Such a nice contrast between the tree and bird, and the wood above the hole adds to the drama here. Great detail in the bird. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel .... hopefully the female is hearing your wishes . Keep my fingers crossed .

Super cool image with the male poking it's head out of the tree .
    Works well as presented .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a potential great opportunity!
    Very nice image.
    As you say, the tree is great.
    My fingers and toes are crossed for you,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

Very fun picture of fascinating trunk/potential nest site. It looks like the tree is quite large in diameter. My potential nest site here looks like they have chosen larger digs. Hope yours pans out!! Look forward to family pictures.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loving the image, wonderful details on the tree trunk and bird. I think soon you may see chicks sticking their heads out of the hole. Thank you for sharing, Dan.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very neat frame. The placement of the bird is perfect. The character of the tree is very nice as well. Detail looks good. Perfect pose.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfect exposure for everything, the bird and tree. Love the scratches and the insect damage on the tree. Reds, whites and blacks on the bird are spot on.