Thread: Note the focal length!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Note the focal length!

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on 30 March 2021 at Stick Marsh, Fellsmere, FL. I used the hand held Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS lens (at 243mm) and The One, the Sony Alpha 1 Mirrorless digital camera. ISO 640. Exposure determined with ISO on the Thumb Wheel. 1/2000 sec. at f/5.6 (wide open) in Manual mode. AWB at 8:30am on a then very slightly cloudy morning.
    Wide/AF-C was active at the moment of exposure and performed perfectly.

The a1 is amazing. Stick Marsh is beyond amazing. Learn more in the blog post here

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome and appreciated.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just wow Artie pops off the screen . I wish I had this. You must have been hand feeding at that focal length. Beautiful colors and detail. TFS

4. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one, Artie. 243mm that is unreal. Wonderful detail, lovely colors. I will have to get to Stick Marsh, just have to get up real early I guess. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

6. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You sure were close.
    I love the landing pose and how sharp it is.
    Not loving the crop though. I feel it needs room on the left if you have it. Would look good as a 5 x 7 or 8.5 x 11
    I would rotate the image CW because the ripples in the water are slanted. Rotating the image would also get rid of that little bit of shoreline vegetation in the LUC.
    Lovely frame,
    Gail

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Artie, if you put a peanut on your head will they...???? Fab, love that they are this close and there is ton o action!

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is nice.. I don't mind the crop, it is right in your face...
    Dan Kearl

12. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    You sure were close.
    I love the landing pose and how sharp it is.
    Not loving the crop though. I feel it needs room on the left if you have it. Would look good as a 5 x 7 or 8.5 x 11
    I would rotate the image CW because the ripples in the water are slanted. Rotating the image would also get rid of that little bit of shoreline vegetation in the LUC.
    Lovely frame,
    Gail
    Thanks, Gail. Everything is sharp with the a1 ... No room room on the left; after 38 years I still have not learned to "pan faster." I tried adding canvas left but lost the waves :( It might need some rotation but I like the o-o-f stuff :)

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie .. very cool incoming pose !!!!
    Tone and color are looking good generally ... personally I might drop the saturation ever so slightly as a possible variant . But not globally .... selectively with finesse .
    Details and sharpness looking good as well .
    Not a fan of the boxy crop ... but you have your reasons for going that route .

TFS Andreas

15. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The thing I enjoy about this the most is the eye contact. Quite a lot in focus for the bird being so close and the lens wide open. Looks like I will have to pay Stick Marsh a visit the next time I'm in Florida.

17. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pose and eye contact are great! I particularly love the gangly legs. The view of the face and beak are outstanding.

Agree about rotating the image CW as Gail suggested, but that assumes you have room at left or want to add canvas to create it.

Saturation is pushed right up to the limit but still works. I also think it could use a touch more sharpening. The a1 AF seem to be amazing,
    but I've personally preferred viewing the files from the a9ii better. They're not as textured/grainy to my eye. I think the larger pixels help.

19. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Artie, nice work as always...

21. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, killer pose, super light and man... crazy close @ 243mm!!

First time I think I've seen you use a square crop in a long time (ever?) but I do like that you tried to keep some of the nice colors at top.

This might be one where it would be nice to have a bit more left to fly into.

Love the frame, well done!

23. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Brian, I know that for some reason you are averse to visiting my blog, but I have been posting at least a few square crops recently.

Gail and Dorian, I am not so sure that this needs to be rotated -- the far shoreline is curved and the wind direction can result in the wavelets not being as we might expect them to be.

As for the a1 files, they are as sweet and luscious as any I have ever had the pleasure to work with. My favorite raw files ever. In addition, the color is so, so easy to work with in Capture One, especially the BLUEs.

with love to all, a

ps: I still need to learn to pan faster for flight. Maybe I will get in right in the next 38 years ...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks, Brian, I know that for some reason you are averse to visiting my blog, but I have been posting at least a few square crops recently.
    Not in the least my friend. Frankly, I love your blog, but with three littles, several businesses and if I want any time remaining to shot and process images, I have to be very selective. I'm sure you get it :-)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

sweet frame Artie, love the light and tack sharp from here. I also don't like the boxy crop as much

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

27. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post