Thread: Brown bear (Ursus arctos)

Threaded View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown bear (Ursus arctos)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hy, I'm posting the picture of a brown bear which has caught my and my friend's scent. It was a sight to behold to watch him run up and across the mountain side, like a tank traversing some very rough terrain. Taken with 1DX and 100-400 mk II with 1.4 XIII TC at f9 1/200 ISO 1600 EC +1 in manual mode spot metered on the bear (was trying out this mode). Techs were less then ideal, 560 mm at f9 gave little SS, the weather was cloudy, but thats what I have s far as my kit goes.
    In DPP 4.12 I tried different adjustments but nothing seemed to work so I decided to underexpose by -0.67 because the bear was overexposed (his left ear showed up red), I lowered the blue saturation by -1 and set the WB to daylight. I left NR at the standard value of 3. In CS 6 I placed the bear on a layer, and increased the exposure on the BG layer by+o.5, I used curves on the BG layer and increased saturation by 10. I used USM on the bear, at first at 130%, but then I lowered it to 60. Its a big crop from the original, but I cant say the percentage.
    The bear is not baited, its just a wild bear which was grazing on a mountain side till the wind gave us away. Not exactly a masterpiece in terms of how big he is in the frame, but thats how close I cand get with my kit without getting the bear and me in trouble. Opened to advice especially how should I have handled the exposure (should I have used evaluative metering, given that the bear is small in the frame).
    Last edited by Bretoteanu Dan; 04-15-2021 at 03:13 PM.