Thread: Marbled Godwit Swimming in Heaven ... Which one is stronger?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Marbled Godwit Swimming in Heaven ... Which one is stronger?

Attached Images Attached Images

Boy, I have been missing in action for far too long. Was working on a big SONY Camera User's Guide, did a Canon R5 Camera User's Guide after playing with the R5 and an RF 100-500 for three months, and am currently managing a SONY A1 Info Group (see the blog for that last one).

This image was created on 12 April 2021 on the first DeSoto IPT. I used the Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS lens(with the lens foot resting on the sand) and The One, the Sony Alpha 1 Mirrorless digital camera. ISO 2500. Exposure determined via Zebras with ISO on the rear dial: 1/500 sec. at f/4.5 (stopped down 1/3-stop; should have been wide open) in Manual mode. AWB at 7:366am on a still, cloudy morning. Wide/AF-C was active at the moment of exposure and performed perfectly.

Learn more about the creation of this image and the image in Pane #2 in the blog post here. I talk about the advantages and disadvantages of using the tilted rear screen to photograph at ground level. I'd love to hear your thoughts as to which image is stronger, and why.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Same gear as above. Would love to hear from you as to which is the better image. And why.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Evening Artie, I'll almost always take a shot with some kind of behavioural aspect over a more regular portrait, so it's the first for me, despite the second image having a stronger head angle.

Mike

4. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both sweet images Artie, but the second one for me because of the engaging head turn. I do think they need a bit of ccw rotation though.

6. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As usual for you sir, the IQ is awesome. The curve of the wave in the first pane seems to frame the bird better, but the inquisitive look in the second pane is perfect.

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both are superb images . Have to love the low heavenly look. For me 1st one with the open bill but the finishing touch is the small wave at the rear of the bird. Most will say behind doesn't matter. But in this case the wave with that upward movement does.IMO TFS
    I used the screen on my 1DX 111 and found it awkward. It worked Ok just wasn't prepared to use it and have the chance of losing a great frame. In my case bird was too close large in the frame and was tracking it albeit rather slow still felt funny.
    Also wasn't sure of the sharpness.
    Last edited by kevin Hice; 04-14-2021 at 06:04 PM. Reason: added info

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm going with the first frame. Love, how you can see the curved bill tip. The open bill is nice as well. Yes, the second frame has a better head angle, but the bird looks dead parallel in both frame. Espcially for shooting wide open basically. 82AM. why does this happen?

12. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, as mentioned, both are very pleasing. Normally, if the beak's open I'm in for that one, but the HA and slight tuck of #2 are hard to deny.

I also appreciate #2 doesn't have the dark wake behind the subject.

Agree on a touch of CCW rotation. Beautiful captures, TFS my friend!

14. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the Second image more than the first one. Both are very good.

TFS

16. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My kinda low angle shorebird frame! Two very dreamy results. I prefer the more direct eye contact, but the open beak is a nice touch as well.

I'll be in FL April 28 to May 8 leading a birding tour. It'll be nice to be back in the Sunshine State.

18. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

They both look good as stand-alone images, but the second is stronger and more in line with my personal tastes despite the open bill of the first. Had the first's head angle been the same as the second though....

20. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

#2 is more engaging for me as well. The first is fine, like the open bill, but the eye contact in #2 wins.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

22. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, all. I love the open bill with the up curved tip and the little was behind the bird, but with the head turned about one degree away this one is the loser here. Though I agree that they are both fine images.

with love, a