Thread: Harris's Hawk with Cactus

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Harris's Hawk with Cactus

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's one from 2015 that I never posted. Couldn't decide if the cactus was added context, or distraction.

D7000, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 1600, 1/2500s @ f/7.1.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill, I envy shots of Harris Hawks and hope to get one next spring as we head south with some friends for a shoot.

RE the cactus, I'm with you. I certainly don't think it helps the image in any way necessarily, but if it were off the rump in the left hand section I think it could present much better. I wonder if you saturated it more if it would help - it's a really pale shade of green - ?

That said, for an off-angle flight shot of a dark species I think you handled it well!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill lovely shot and not sure about the cactus, takes away some pretty prominent. Either way I am fine might try Brian's suggestion on making it darker. The cactus is part of their environment. Colors on the bird spot on and good detail. Not sure if you know Harris hawks hunt socially in groups. Pretty neat to see.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the cactus more than I thought I would from the thumbnail, but I don't particularly love it either. It does add context for sure in its habitat. The hawk itself looks great - I'm really digging those talons! I'd be OK with a bit more warmth to the image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For me the cactus is ok. if you do not have it it would be blue sky. I would like to have the cactus to the right or left of the bird.

Did you lift shadows on the bird?

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The view of the legs and feet is amazing! Just a killer action pose, cactus or no. I would prefer it didn't intersect the bird, but plain blue sky isn't much better either. IQ on face isn't top notch but certainly passable. A good result in what looks like sub-optimal lighting.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cactus or no cactus. It does give some sense of the environment. I like the pose and the out streched legs.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the bird, the pose, and the sharpness. I can't decide on the cactus :0

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all. Yes, Kevin, I saw a group of them hunting together in AZ a few years ago. Fun to watch.