Thread: Ruddy Set Go

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ruddy Set Go

Name:  20210402-Ruddy-Duck-Drake-sun-Brian-Sump-BSR52109-5090px-SW-L78-BD20-brush-touch-v4.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  583.7 KB

Same preserve as where I saw the Horned Grebe.

I don't think this fella is quite fully decked out in his mating attire. Will try to get back next week and hope to get the courtship dance.

Canon R5
    840mm
    Handheld
    ISO 1600
    1/2000
    f8

LR and PS, DN. Evicted one bright spot below the duck on the water, and a couple dust specs on the feathers.

PS - I guess the nictitating membrane is just partially visible on this species. All shots were like this.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot I 'm glad to see some texture and detail, I really don't see any point worrying about the nictitating membrane, the duck has one and it moves!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow Brian....Look at those different shades of brown/copper...You managed to get great detail to show the feathers at their best...Great POV and HA....No nits here...What a lovely looking duck and you show it very well.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian .... the image has your signature

You really got your grips on the kit and the processing !!!!
    A real pleasure to enjoy the technical output .

A very cool subject and you nailed it with the low POV .... I really like the " waves" in front and at the end of the duck . Lovely colors and a very nice overall tone range .
    The head feathers are looking a tiny bit coarse ... but this might be down of being wet and their natural structure . If you have added any local contrast to that area I might reduce it slightly .... and see how it does look . But this is very picky .... so you can ignore it or try it out .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Nice shot I 'm glad to see some texture and detail, I really don't see any point worrying about the nictitating membrane, the duck has one and it moves!!
    Jon, yeah I see what you're saying. Traditional feedback says the shot is effectively a dud if the membrane is showing. I was just sort of surprised on this species that it was regularly visible

Thank you for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by William Dickson View Post
    Wow Brian....Look at those different shades of brown/copper...You managed to get great detail to show the feathers at their best...Great POV and HA....No nits here...What a lovely looking duck and you show it very well.

Will
    Will, I appreciate you man. I'm glad you liked it as presented, I was elated to finally get a grab on one of these handsome guys :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Brian .... the image has your signature

You really got your grips on the kit and the processing !!!!
    A real pleasure to enjoy the technical output .

A very cool subject and you nailed it with the low POV .... I really like the " waves" in front and at the end of the duck . Lovely colors and a very nice overall tone range .
    The head feathers are looking a tiny bit coarse ... but this might be down of being wet and their natural structure . If you have added any local contrast to that area I might reduce it slightly .... and see how it does look . But this is very picky .... so you can ignore it or try it out .

TFS Andreas
    Andreas, literally has my signature haha! Thank you... you see something in this image that you think signifies my style?

RE the head feathers, yes I absolutely understand. In fact, on the sharpening step I brushed the white layer almost down to the base layer in the head feathers and this is the result. They just had a bit of that look from being wet and perhaps the light angle too, but I can certainly revisit it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Love copper color. A nemesis species of mine. I've been trying to get close to drake for a few years. Wishing to get an image as nice as this.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian,

successful and full of effort. Congratulations.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Strong view of this cute little, bird, Brian. Ours our currently molting into this plumage prior to departing north for the summer.

No complaints from me. Exposure and details look great, and I especially appreciate the low angle.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrific shot, Brian. Great POV, lovely colors. Looks pretty close to full breeding plumage, but I don't usually get to see them in such attire.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Backs View Post
    Very nice. Love copper color. A nemesis species of mine. I've been trying to get close to drake for a few years. Wishing to get an image as nice as this.
    Jack, this was in the top three on the list this spring and I'm delighted and blessed to have gotten some frames with him. There were two other males and a female as well. Fun day!

Thanks for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Volkan Akgul View Post
    Hi Brian,

successful and full of effort. Congratulations.
    Volkan, appreciate you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    Strong view of this cute little, bird, Brian. Ours our currently molting into this plumage prior to departing north for the summer.

No complaints from me. Exposure and details look great, and I especially appreciate the low angle.
    Thanks Dorian, appreciate the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Terrific shot, Brian. Great POV, lovely colors. Looks pretty close to full breeding plumage, but I don't usually get to see them in such attire.
    Bill, yes I'd have to guess he's a week or two from the full get up. Hoping to get back up there in a week or so to try for the mating dance.

Thank you!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now that is a low angle. Nice soft sunlight as well. Framing is right on.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

DATPA but the dirty face is a big negative for me. And I would prefer the BLACKs blacker as always.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.