Thread: Red-browed Finch

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-browed Finch

Attached Images Attached Images

This Red-browed Finch was taken recently. The background was full of distracting branches, twigs etc, so please keep that in mind when looking at the backgound here. Took a while to remove the distractions, but I'm ok with how it looks. YMMV. Cheers.

Nikon D500/500PF, 1/640th sec@f7.1, iso1000. Manual mode, HH.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul:

Striking bird with the pops of color against the gray feathers and the dark background. I like the composition with the angled perch and gaze of the bird. Speaking of the perch, that is an amazing one, has enough detail you could almost do a macro study of it alone.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird with beautiful details. The colors are perfect with their natural colors. Congratulations.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well focused and good detail. The sharpening seems a little coarse, or perhaps heavy, maybe a lighter sharpening would convey a more delicate appreciation of the plumage??

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for the kind feedback...it's much appreciated. I was a little worried about the background, as I had to do extensive work to remove distractions, but I guess it turned out ok.
    Jonathan: A fair point/suggestion, although I only applied a little sharpening to the eye and head area, after using Topaz DN. Cheers.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You nailed this one completely, my friend. Agree with just a tad less Sharpening. Beautiful detail and colors. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you David...always appreciate your kindness. Stay safe.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice frame Paul, I like the bird and its sharpness looks good from here, however the perch is bit too contrasty/distracting for me maybe because it has too much detail and draws my eyes from the bird. I think backing off contrast and sharpening on the perch will improve this. BG is showing pixlation artifacts

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arash: I appreciate the feedback. I'm fine with the perch, but agree with the BG comment. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul a cool capture of this very attractive finch species .
    Sadly it does look too processed for my taste .
    From your reply to other comments I think you like it that way , fine .

I am with Jon about the sharpness , does look crunchy/ coarse here on my side .... you see it differently . Just for fun , if you have the time .... I would like to see a version with the sharpening turned off in Topaz plugin , for comparison .
    What is causing the BG " issue " ... ?
    And is the little beauty that " blue " in the plumage and upper side of the bill ??? Or is the plumage more grey ???

Hope you do not mind .... my pickiness ??? I feel with a more gentle hand in processing the image might look " better " in my view .

TFS Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 03-31-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Overall, this is a lovely frame.
    Your work on the BG is pretty good.
    I really like the perch- so unusual. I would try to do a back yard set-up with that type of perch.
    Agree on slightly over sharpened but some birds have feathers that really show every feather shaft very well.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas: Only processing on the Finch was basic adjustments in acr,and Topaz DN. The major processing was removing the BG distractions...a major job here, and I'm fine with the outcome. The bird is not over sharpened in my view. However, I will have another look at the raw and try yours and Gail's suggestion as far as sharpening goes. Always good to look again. The blue may be a little too much, but there was no adjustment to colour in my processing...check out images on Google and you'll see a little variation.

Gail: The photo was taken at Oxley Creek Common, where we went that day. This time I walked to the very end of the track...to the section called "secret garden". There is a dead tree on the ground with multiple branches etc. Never seen that tree there before. This Finch was spotted behind the tree on other busy branches/twigs. I've never done a back yard setup before, but maybe on my next visit I'll take a section of perch home. Trouble is, the only birds I get in my garden are Crows, noisy miners, magpies and occasionally Blue-faced honeyeaters. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul, this is really pretty man. Beautiful pop of color on the subdued bkg.

Compositionally it works too!

You know, it feels a bit picky but I also felt like it just has a bit of an unnatural feel to it, esp in the yellows on the back of the neck and down from the eye. Not sure if it's the spotty graininess or what; perhaps a bit of a sharpening thing. What ratio did you use in Topaz?

A nice one overall my friend!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul ... one can also " overprocess" an image in ACR , just my take .
    No problem that you like it the way you have processed the file , i just prefer a more subtle overall contrast/sharpness /color in most cases thatīs all .
    Regarding the blue , as i do not know the bird in real life i was just guessing .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian. Thanks so much for the feedback. I may have boosted the yellow a tad, but it's pretty close to the natural colouring in the bird. I understand the graininess you're referring to...and yes, perhaps too much sharpening. I used Topaz on auto, but I see your point here. I might go back and rethink this one. Thanks as always. BTW...congrats on having your photo on Artie's R5 ebook. Stay safe.

Andreas: Different strokes I guess...but I do agree that photos can be over processed...I try not to do that, but will think more about what I do in post. Cheers!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool looking bird. I do like that red around the eye. It gives a nice pop of color.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you John.