Thread: Different angle what do you think?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Different angle what do you think?

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey there,

Thought this was an interesting shot but would like to know what your thoughts are, and what could I do to enhance it?

XT3
    XF100-400mm
    400mm
    f5.6
    Iso 1000
    SS 1000

Sharpened with Topaz AI, auto settings in LR and a crop

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Wayne ... always good to see new approaches , different perspectives .... and so forth !

I would be interested , what you find interesting in this kind of photograph ???

Personally I am not grabbed by the image .... the most interesting thing are the tail feathers , due to their bright nature as my eyes are looking at them .

I do not see any room for serious improvements , as I personally would call this not a keeper from the aesthetic POV .

Technically you could improve the WB , the contrast and darken the bright foliage on RHS .

Not sure if my view helps .... just being honest .

But please share your thoughts , for what reason you would call this a keeper ?

TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Wayne,
    EXP and sharpness looks good. Since it is large bird the SS is serviceable but could be higher. As to pose, much to like but coming at you would be much better. One of the main tenets of nature photography is to get the eye in clear view. Draws the viewer in and adds much interest. The separation from BG is OK but could be better. Believe you are wide open at f5.6 so only thing you could have done is catch the subject closer to you. Overall, many improvements, now looking for more with face/eye in clear view. TFS Looking forward to many more...
    Last edited by David Roach; 03-06-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Wayne, in general you want to take the photo when the bird is coming towards you, the flying away shots aka bott shots rarely make a keeper. think about photographing a person, in general you want their fact towards the camera....

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Wayne ... always good to see new approaches , different perspectives .... and so forth !

I would be interested , what you find interesting in this kind of photograph ???

Personally I am not grabbed by the image .... the most interesting thing are the tail feathers , due to their bright nature as my eyes are looking at them .

I do not see any room for serious improvements , as I personally would call this not a keeper from the aesthetic POV .

Technically you could improve the WB , the contrast and darken the bright foliage on RHS .

Not sure if my view helps .... just being honest .

But please share your thoughts , for what reason you would call this a keeper ?

TFS Andreas
    Hi Andreas
    Thank you very much for your thoughts and honest criticism, Im starting out so appreciate all feedback.
    With regards the picture what grabs me is the potential of impending doom, it looks like the bird is setting its sights on a target.
    Thanks once again for your help

Cheers

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    Hi Wayne, in general you want to take the photo when the bird is coming towards you, the flying away shots aka bott shots rarely make a keeper. think about photographing a person, in general you want their fact towards the camera....

TFS
    Hi Arash,
    Thank you very much for your help, I suppose when you a beginner you take any BIF shot that you can get. I take your point and advice thanks very much
    Cheers

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    Hi Wayne,
    EXP and sharpness looks good. Since it is large bird the SS is serviceable but could be higher. As to pose, much to like but coming at you would be much better. One of the main tenets of nature photography is to get the eye in clear view. Draws the viewer in and adds much interest. The separation from BG is OK but could be better. Believe you are wide open at f5.6 so only thing you could have done is catch the subject closer to you. Overall, many improvements, now looking for more with face/eye in clear view. TFS Looking forward to many more...
    Hi David
    Thank you for your advice, very much appreciated. The bird was quite far away, all my shots so far have been from my garden (I really need to get out more). Its the BIF aspect of this hobby that really fascinates me, but it is seriously challenging to get anything remotely close as some, no actually almost all BIF pics posted on this forum.
    This is a pic from the front of the same bird, I didnt think it was sharp enough to post but what do you guys think
    Name:  untitled-1446-SharpenAI-focus 1500.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  574.3 KB

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Niz View Post
    Hi David
    Thank you for your advice, very much appreciated. The bird was quite far away, all my shots so far have been from my garden (I really need to get out more). Its the BIF aspect of this hobby that really fascinates me, but it is seriously challenging to get anything remotely close as some, no actually almost all BIF pics posted on this forum.
    This is a pic from the front of the same bird, I didnt think it was sharp enough to post but what do you guys think
    Name:  untitled-1446-SharpenAI-focus 1500.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  574.3 KB
    Hi Wayne, Once again, your exposure looks fairly good and the framing leaves something to be desired. That is the bird needs room to fly into. So, more on the bottom and left of the frame. This point of view, with face and eye, a big improvement. This is a great pose far as the wings are concerned. Be sure you have thoroughly researched and tinkered with the specific optimum BIF settings for the AF on this specific rig. Then practice, practice, practice... TFS and looking forward to more...