Thread: Just starting out help needed

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Just starting out help needed

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi All,

Getting started out with bird and macro photography and would like some critique of a couple pics that I have taken so I can improve.

Kit
    XT3
    XF100-400 with 1.4 TC
    Hand held
    Bird shot in my garden but wild - ie no feeder or anything like that
    Topaz Sharpening
    Picture cropped
    1/250 Sec
    1250 Iso
    560mm

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Wayne, a good start. Composition is good and the subject is sharp and well focused. Overall the image has a slightly heavy look to it, i.e. the darks look very dark and in some areas I think there is detail to be revealed. The background has a rather dark and blue look to it also. Perhaps if you look at these darker tones and maybe just initially start by increasing exposure slightly and reducing contrast - at raw stage see what happens then raise shadows a little and if you don't get a pleasing effect retry or continue in PSCC as opposed to LR or ACR or Capture one etc.
    A less significant (for me) is the tail, ideally it should not be partly hidden. The bird also appears to have a rather long faecolith which you may consider removing. I would suggest keep careful eyes on your shutter speed, you appear to be fine here but it is often wise to go for faster speed to ensure sharpness.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jonathan,

Exactly the type of support I was looking for thank you so much I will potter around in PSCC tonight and see what I can do. WRT the facecloth could you advise what this pertains to.

Thanks again

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Name:  DSCF4741 Lighter-SharpenAI-focus crop 1900 h90.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  262.3 KB

I upped the exposure a little and reduced contrast

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to the forum Wayne......Your repost is certainly a lot better....I like the colours throughout the image...Nice pose on the bird with a good HA(head angle), always better slightly towards the viewer...At 1/250 I can see slight motion blur ...Maybe a little sharpening would help, check the RAW file for sharpness... It is possible to get it sharp at 1/250...but, the faster the SS the better...as the birds are always on the move, even when perched....How much of a crop is this...I am sure you will get lots of great tips and info just like Jon provided....I like your crop, it's a pity about the tail...Well done

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much William, crop was around 60% of the original image at a guess.
    I must be honest when I see pics of this forum especially the ones in flight I am amazed at the skill level of the guys

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Wayne, welcome to BPN!! Word of caution: bird photography is highly addictive so don't say we did not warn you....

The repost is an improvement, and I would not go brighter as to me the scene looks like it was a darker moody one to begin with. The yellows look good. Cool cactus perch. The blocked tail-tip is unfortunate, but the brown strand hanging from the bird down to the bottom edge bugs me even more - you could clone that out if your processing ethics are OK with that. I love the way the feet are gripping the leaf. I like to lighten the eye area when it looks like it is set in shade like here, it livens up the image (the dodge tool used judiciously works well for that). Anyhow, great start, and looking forward to more from you!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel,

I am addicted for sure, I am already considering a full frame setup A9 ii, R5 or R6 on the radar. I didnt even notice the brown stick now its also really annoying me too

Thanks for taking the time to review my pic - and maybe if you have a view on which full frame I should go for I would appreciate your input

Cheers