Thread: Ring-necked Duck Wing Flap

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ring-necked Duck Wing Flap

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image early yesterday morning at Lake Morton in Lakeland, Florida. A wonderful time sitting by the edge of the lake photographing whatever happened by as the morning awakened. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm PF ED, camera and lens supported by a Oben carbon fiber monopod with a Wimberly MonoGimbal head
    1/2500 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 900 Auto 1 WB later changed in post processing, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped from 2x3 to 16x9 for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderous light works on water and subject soooo well here, Joe. Love the chosen crop. Very minor nit, would like this beauty a little to the right. Awesome canvas overall and your morning sounds sweet, sweet, sweet and soulful.... TFS

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    Wonderous light works on water and subject soooo well here, Joe. Love the chosen crop. Very minor nit, would like this beauty a little to the right. Awesome canvas overall and your morning sounds sweet, sweet, sweet and soulful.... TFS
    Hi David, thank you for viewing and commenting. Originally I did have the duck more to the right in the 2x3 crop then changed to a 16x9 to fit in the ripples around the bird. Just me, I like ripples and reflections. Thanks again...
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi David, thank you for viewing and commenting. Originally I did have the duck more to the right in the 2x3 crop then changed to a 16x9 to fit in the ripples around the bird. Just me, I like ripples and reflections. Thanks again...
    I also loved the pano just because of the ripples. The light and the pose take this one over the top for me.

6. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice light on this subject! I like the pose as well. I agree about keeping the ripples.

8. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jo I like the ripples too ...... but look at the thumbnail the subject is smack dab in the centre -- it doesn't sit quite right for me, I would move the duck over to the right some - for sure! Colours look great but I would (personally) lift the darker tones. Timing/angle/pose looks good.

10. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this bird, but I think he's way to small in the frame for maximum impact. I really think the ripples are working against you here. If the water was smoother, the small-in-frame would work better. Warm lighting is nice though.

12. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The ripples are OK, but there is still too much canvas below IMO. You fell you could lose about half the space below, still get some good ripples left-over, and add some canvas above. I too think the duck is too centered horizontally as well. Superb light, perfect body and head angles. Do you have one where the near wing is opened up more?

14. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe does look good to me overall .
    I do like the colors and the ripples are gorgeous .... the bird is almost a byproduct !!!

TFS Andreas

16. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla