Thread: Great egret in flight

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Avian Great egret in flight

Attached Images Attached Images

Took this shot about midday on a clear sunny day in winter. Shot with a Canon 5DS using Sigma 150-600 lens with Canon 2x teleconverter on a tripod. Shot at 1/1000 second at f13 at 1200 mm, ISO 1000. Sun was above and to the left. Cropped image with adjustments made to clarity, sharpness, noise reduction, and increased color saturation. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN Ron. The exposure looks pretty good. but the image is not at all sharp. In fact, it is not focused. Using a 2X TC on that rig is not recommended.

with love, artie

ps: where do you live?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ron and welcome aboard. You have a good pose as far as wings up, tail splayed and flying low and even to your position. You have a bad pose in terms of already being past you and flying away. Also light angle and time of day not optimal. Generally you want to create images within two hours of sunup or sundown. To get the subject well lit you need to have the sun at your back. That combined with the slow glass f13 might be a problem. Does 5DS AF at F13? Don't know the specs for that rig. Framing wise the bird needs more room to fly into. While far from sharp this is a good start for practice. I would try without TC in better light next time. BTW just getting the bird in frame at 1200mm is an accomplishment. Looking forward to many more...

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would agree 100% with the advice offered, getting focus can be difficult . The reason for misfocus is almost certainly due to a poor response from the combination, as suggested try some without the TC , see what the results are like then see if you need to refine in terms of focal points or AI settings in camera. It's all about practice practice practice..... and then some!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi , can only echo the above comments .
    Good question raised by David about the AF capabilities with the kit .
    The answer is : autofocus is not working at all with the used kit .So one has to manually focus on a flying subject .... like in the old days

TFS Andreas

6. Thanks Ron Van Fleet thanked for this post
    BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Welcome to BPN Ron. The exposure looks pretty good. but the image is not at all sharp. In fact, it is not focused. Using a 2X TC on that rig is not recommended.

with love, artie

ps: where do you live?
    Hello artie, Thank you for the suggestions. I really struggle with getting images in focus with my telephoto lens. Will try without teleconverter. I live in Astoria, Oregon. Thank you again.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Andreas Liedmann;1254052]Hi , can only echo the above comments .
    Good question raised by David about the AF capabilities with the kit .
    The answer is : autofocus is not working at all with the used kit .So one has to manually focus on a flying subject .... like in the old days

TFS Andreas[/QUOTE
    Thank you very much Andreas, Was manually focusing, but guess it did not work. Just can't seem to get crisp images with TC.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I would agree 100% with the advice offered, getting focus can be difficult . The reason for misfocus is almost certainly due to a poor response from the combination, as suggested try some without the TC , see what the results are like then see if you need to refine in terms of focal points or AI settings in camera. It's all about practice practice practice..... and then some!
    Thank you for the suggestions and encouragement Jonathan. Will try without TC. Will have to be sneaky though.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    Hi Ron and welcome aboard. You have a good pose as far as wings up, tail splayed and flying low and even to your position. You have a bad pose in terms of already being past you and flying away. Also light angle and time of day not optimal. Generally you want to create images within two hours of sunup or sundown. To get the subject well lit you need to have the sun at your back. That combined with the slow glass f13 might be a problem. Does 5DS AF at F13? Don't know the specs for that rig. Framing wise the bird needs more room to fly into. While far from sharp this is a good start for practice. I would try without TC in better light next time. BTW just getting the bird in frame at 1200mm is an accomplishment. Looking forward to many more...
    Thank you for the suggestions David, Am just starting in this field of photography and have much to learn about my equipment and ability to get really crisp images. I will try with the TC and autofocus.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ron

Welcome aboard. I start by echoing the comments of others. There is NO substitute for proximity, so you're going to have to get close next time around. The 2X is useless on that lens, and even the 1.4 is going to struggle. It's really hard to get decent results with apertures smaller than f/8 - unless you know what you're doing and have a specific reason for doing it. f/13 is useless, unfortunately.

You're also going to want to try to get more direct illumination on the subject. Again -- unless you have a creative reason for deviating from the formula - get the sun directly behind you. Once you learn how to make sharp frames under that lighting condition, then you can graduate to others.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for the input Dorian. These birds were spooky. Will have to work on being stealthy, getting closer, and using the light properly. Am learning a lot from the critiques, thank you again. Ron