Thread: Urban Birding...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Urban Birding...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R6 RF 100-500 @500 f9 1/1000 ISO 3200 HH, Manual EXP, cropped for composition

On the same bike ride as the previous post but different location. Spotted this feral African import (Egyptian Goose) near the edge of a borrow pit. Just walking along. Most borrow pits in south Florida have small gently sloped edges from the dredging for limestone bedrock. I positioned well ahead of the subject's path on adjacent water's edge sitting half way down the bank. Also searched for best BG as the rear of the strip mall along with the access road into the rear delivery trucks would be behind the subject from this position. Stayed this low to avoid the roads just behind this position. Went vertical and started this 10 frame sequence as the subject approached. This was just cropped between a loading dock on left and delivery truck on the right. Ahhh, the challenges of urban birding. Created just before sunset with a heavily clouded western horizon to the left of frame.

Thanks as always for valued help on previous posts. Please keep it coming.
    Last edited by David Roach; 02-26-2021 at 02:53 PM.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the composition and colours details are good also. I can see that faint halo again Jo, I keep wondering is it perhaps the hard junction between sharpening and Noise Reduction, it is most obvious neck/breast and down the back.
    You may wish to make a luminance mask of the bill and brightest breast feathers and reduce luminance a shade.

4. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David ... these are cool characters , albeit being very aggressive !!

Nice comp and a super smooth BG . Contrast too high for my taste .... albeit slightly .

TFS Andreas

6. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, neat goose. Nice colors and background, really neat markings on this goose. There is one hanging around Lake Morton, in Lakeland where I live. Maybe I'll go there tomorrow morning and see if I can find it. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

8. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi David ... these are cool characters , albeit being very aggressive !!

Nice comp and a super smooth BG . Contrast too high for my taste .... albeit slightly .

TFS Andreas
    Hi Professor,
    The variation here tends to be lighter color and I really wanted to get the feather pattern. Bumping contrast was only way I could get more. Bet you have a better way though... Thanks, as always for the valued help...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi David, neat goose. Nice colors and background, really neat markings on this goose. There is one hanging around Lake Morton, in Lakeland where I live. Maybe I'll go there tomorrow morning and see if I can find it. Thank you for sharing.
    Would love to see your "JP" treatment on this species. The ancient Egyptians saw these as sacred... Thanks as always for your valued opinion and help.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool subject, I have never seen one personally. Nice frame, good sharpness and BG. Nice work

12. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

this one draws me in more than the image with two. would really like to see one of these. Background is nice n soft and great colors for this bird. I like the expression and the textures. Nicely done.

14. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the strutting pose, eye contact, sharpness and your comment on the challenges of urban birding. Nice image David.

16. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post