Thread: Black Vulture

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Vulture

Attached Images Attached Images

Dot and I went to Circle B Bar Reserve early yesterday morning. Walking to the boardwalk on Lost Bridge trail we pass a pair of Black Vultures on a low tree limb, a slight move to the right put the birds on the light angle. This is one of the images I captured. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm F/5.6 PF ED HH
    1/1600 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 1600 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Neat Image for noise reductioin
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well Jo, I suppose his mum loves him!!
    I like the image as presented.

(You may wish to consider a little use of the Texture Clarity and Dehaze, I also made a luminosity mask of the brightest parts in his neck folds and brought down the luminance.)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe ...
    what a cool character you have captured .
    Croppping and head angle are about right to me . Stunning cracking details in the head area ... for me ( personal taste ) almost too much , I think the light amplified the contrast . Love that eye ... sooooo glossy and so much clarity in it .
    Personally I would not add any more contrast .... .... as the blacks are already clipped ( as posted )
    Maybe I would add a bit of tone to the darker mid tones and warm up the image slightly .
    Is the plumage having that blue/cyan hue ???

Cool image , well done TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

An awesome view of one of the most functional of avian eyes. Yes to slightly less SH but love this canvas overall. TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Well Jo, I suppose his mum loves him!!
    I like the image as presented.

(You may wish to consider a little use of the Texture Clarity and Dehaze, I also made a luminosity mask of the brightest parts in his neck folds and brought down the luminance.)
    Hi Jon, thank you for viewing and commenting. I'll try texture, clarity and dehaze and see what amounts work. All of them add contrast in their own way. The bright area on the neck folds I have used the Adjustment Brush to burn and reduced hightlights to tone it down, will try a Luminosity mask for the brightest areas..
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Joe ...
    what a cool character you have captured .
    Croppping and head angle are about right to me . Stunning cracking details in the head area ... for me ( personal taste ) almost too much , I think the light amplified the contrast . Love that eye ... sooooo glossy and so much clarity in it .
    Personally I would not add any more contrast .... .... as the blacks are already clipped ( as posted )
    Maybe I would add a bit of tone to the darker mid tones and warm up the image slightly .
    Is the plumage having that blue/cyan hue ???

Cool image , well done TFS Andreas
    Hey Andreas, thank you for viewing and commenting. The blacks are clipped only in the darkest shadows on my display (Eizo ColorEdge). I used the Eye Dropper tool to change the white balance which went to the cool side of temperature (blue). Here is a edit with the white balance set back to As Shot. This warms the image. Let me know what you think?
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 02-25-2021 at 01:28 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    An awesome view of one of the most functional of avian eyes. Yes to slightly less SH but love this canvas overall. TFS
    Hi David, thank you for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Joe .... RP work well to me . What are you thinking yourself ???
    Depending of the shooting time I might go slightly !!!! cooler in the RP .... but you were there , not me .

Regarding the blacks ... regardless which screen , i personally look " only at the histogram not the screen for judgement " .

Cheers Andreas