Thread: Snow Buntings

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snow Buntings

Attached Images Attached Images

I tried this with a TC1.4 at 700mm handheld.
    Nikon Z7, 200-500mm at 700mm. ISO500 f8 1/5000. I cleaned few pieces and bits only.
    Taken at Salisbury Beach, MA.

Let me know what you think.
    Thanks,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ilija:

I like the pose of the front bird, the soft shadows help give him some depth, without obscuring too much detail.

Scenes like this with an OOF bird/subject in the background are always a delicate balance. I like the story telling component, but sometimes the background bird can be somewhat distracting. In a perfect world, I wish the second bird was just a bit smaller in the frame. Lots of different opinions on this topic, and I revisit this issue in my own work frequently.

Because of the gaze of the two birds, and their position, I could see just a sliver more room on the right Personal taste really. Would be a bit squarer, which some folks really don't like.

The whites could go perhaps just a few points brighter, to really play up the snow.

TFS

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful birds and sharp. Good that you got some separation between the head of the front bird and the tail of the rear bird. I too would like to see more room on our right so as to include the entire shadow of the bird in the back, especially because they are both looking to our right. Bad luck with the dirty snow. In retrospect, everything looks too tight in the fame. Can you post a JPEG of the full original frame?

thanks with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Beautiful birds and sharp. Good that you got some separation between the head of the front bird and the tail of the rear bird. I too would like to see more room on our right so as to include the entire shadow of the bird in the back, especially because they are both looking to our right. Bad luck with the dirty snow. In retrospect, everything looks too tight in the fame. Can you post a JPEG of the full original frame?

thanks with love, a
    Thank you Artie for the comments. Yeah, as you can see on the original I had this pine branch on the right. I guess I could try removing it, but the bird on the low-right is the problem. Thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Ilija:

I like the pose of the front bird, the soft shadows help give him some depth, without obscuring too much detail.

Scenes like this with an OOF bird/subject in the background are always a delicate balance. I like the story telling component, but sometimes the background bird can be somewhat distracting. In a perfect world, I wish the second bird was just a bit smaller in the frame. Lots of different opinions on this topic, and I revisit this issue in my own work frequently.

Because of the gaze of the two birds, and their position, I could see just a sliver more room on the right Personal taste really. Would be a bit squarer, which some folks really don't like.

The whites could go perhaps just a few points brighter, to really play up the snow.

TFS

Cheers

Randy

Thank you for the comments. Take a look at the original, I didn't have much space on the right, but I guess I could do it. Thanks.