Thread: Mrs. Pileated

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mrs. Pileated

Attached Images Attached Images

I have a pair of pileated woodpeckers that I have been watching, hoping that they will excavate a nesting cavity in a location that I can photograph. I am afraid this tree is too small for them to use, but they have been hammering away on it for a while.

Z6. PF500 with TC 1.4III, shot off monopod. f/8, 1/1600s, ISO 3200

Post: LRCC, PS2020, noise reduction with Topaz AI, cropped from horizontal.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Envious of this fine frame as I've never had a decent opportunity to photograph this wonderful bird. Exposure and details looks great, comp is perfect, and the fresh excavation is unique
    among Pileated frames I've seen. It tells a better story that an older hole as far as I'm concerned. Head angle is perfect. Red looks saturated, but I'm viewing on my MacBook Air versus
    my desktop.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Uh, this is really good bird. The pose, expression, the nest hole, just beautiful setting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy ... a very nice frame .
    Clean with a good pose of the subject , super smooth BG makes him jumping of the frame .
    Impressed to see his work in the tree , nice overall tones with tons of detail

Not knowing the species , I would ask if they are so " blue" in real life ???

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As with Dorian, I am envious. This one is stunning. The boxy crop here is perfect. The intriguing background works perfectly. If it were mine, I would crop some off the left to lose the branch-like thing in the lower part of the frame. The BLACKs look more GREEN to my eye than BLUE. And yes, the fresh hole is very special. I can just see the chicks peeking out!

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool shot. I like the red color. I for once not too fan of the bring colors (Tonality) in the hole.
    My eye goes there, but I would want it to go the birds (I might be wrong)

TFS