Thread: American White Pelican

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American White Pelican

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Lake Morton in Lakeland, Florida. Another gray day, so many mornings recently have been overcast. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm F/5.6 VR AF-S ED PF, camera and lens supported by a Oben carbon fiber monopod with a Wimberly MonoGimbal head
    1/1250 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 3200 Auto 1 WB, image captured as a vertical at 500mm (750mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021, Topaz Denoise AI and Topaz Sharpen AI
    Cropped slightly for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot I like the exposure and detail. I have seen these before with bigger bumps on the bill - do they enlarge during breeding season or perhaps this one isn't fully mature??
    If inclined I think you could get a little more detail in the feathers using some blending.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Lovely shot I like the exposure and detail. I have seen these before with bigger bumps on the bill - do they enlarge during breeding season or perhaps this one isn't fully mature??
    If inclined I think you could get a little more detail in the feathers using some blending.
    Hi Jon, thank you for viewing, commenting and suggesting an improvement of the image. Regarding the breeding horn on the bill, I think this is just beginning to grow on this bird. Your correct that normally the horn is much larger. I worked on getting more detail in the white feathers. Here is a repost.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe that is super!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe ... I quite like the image with the almost monochrome feel to it .The bill and face are popping nicely .

I agree with Jon that the whites could get some more depth ... or punch .

Personally I think the edit you made is not ideal ... as you have lifted the dark tones while toning down the whites ???!!! The face and the bill are looking now somehow flat and the nice depth is gone .
    Looks like you might have used the " shadow/highlight " tool in PS , or something similar from a plugin .... just a gutt feeling .

TFS Andreas