Thread: A Great Perch!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Great Perch!

Name:  20210131-Hooded-Merganser-Hen-fish-Brian-Sump-BMS_4237-6119pix-WS.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  579.0 KB

In this Hoodie Hen's mouth, that is.

Was trying to push the R5's ISO range and this was about as far as I've been able to go while retaining decent IQ. Really liked the frame so thought it deserved a go in post.

I carefully ran some denoise and selectively brushed. While there are still a couple spots I can see the high ISO coming through, curious your thoughts.

R5
    840mm
    Handheld
    ISO 6400
    f5.6
    1/400

LR and PS, DN. Evicted 2-3 bubbles in the water.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks fine to me... someone once told me to stop pixel peeping......... and enjoy the image! I have taken it on board, if I look carefully I can detect less detail than would be seen in a low ISO but the image is fine - why spoil a nice viewing by trying hard to make fault - I would not worry about IQ for one second.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful moment in soft light. Agree with Jonathan and absolutely love the reflection and BG. Awesome canvas overall for me (so, what's new). TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty perfect and about as low as you can get... Nothing I would change, I can't see any noise, maybe tone down the fish a tad..
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian:

Excellent shooting angle, hope you and the gear didn't get too wet! I don't find the noise as posted to be an issue. Usually the dynamic range loss with higher ISOs is what effects the image the most for me, but although you could push the contrast a sliver, overall it works well.

I am kind of in the boat with Jon. If I have to lean really close to an image to see small defects, as opposed to normal viewing distance, it probably isn't a significant problem!

Having grown up pushing Tri-X may have something to do with that slight tolerance for noise

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think this image is excellent.
    Love the low POV and the facial expression of the hen as she tries to swallow this fish.
    I would tone down the highlights in the fish and crop a bit from the bottom (personal taste).
    I am with all the others re: pixel peeping and looking hard to find a minor problem in am image.
    I think we all go down the pixel peeping road during our photographic journey and after a certain distance, we "let it go"! A beautiful image
    that can be enjoyed by all!
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Looks fine to me... someone once told me to stop pixel peeping......... and enjoy the image! I have taken it on board, if I look carefully I can detect less detail than would be seen in a low ISO but the image is fine - why spoil a nice viewing by trying hard to make fault - I would not worry about IQ for one second.
    Jonathan, thank you for the feedback. I agree, with you... probably a little close to the screen. Glad you find it pleasing!

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    A beautiful moment in soft light. Agree with Jonathan and absolutely love the reflection and BG. Awesome canvas overall for me (so, what's new). TFS
    David, you're too kind. I appreciate your comments my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    Pretty perfect and about as low as you can get... Nothing I would change, I can't see any noise, maybe tone down the fish a tad..
    Dan, thank you for the positive comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Brian:

Excellent shooting angle, hope you and the gear didn't get too wet! I don't find the noise as posted to be an issue. Usually the dynamic range loss with higher ISOs is what effects the image the most for me, but although you could push the contrast a sliver, overall it works well.

I am kind of in the boat with Jon. If I have to lean really close to an image to see small defects, as opposed to normal viewing distance, it probably isn't a significant problem!

Having grown up pushing Tri-X may have something to do with that slight tolerance for noise

Cheers

Randy
    Randy, thankful for your thoughtful replies. I had the foot resting on my boot, which was partially in the water so thankfully the body and lens stayed dry.

Please share about Tri-X. I can only imagine what you mean in context but never heard of it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    I think this image is excellent.
    Love the low POV and the facial expression of the hen as she tries to swallow this fish.
    I would tone down the highlights in the fish and crop a bit from the bottom (personal taste).
    I am with all the others re: pixel peeping and looking hard to find a minor problem in am image.
    I think we all go down the pixel peeping road during our photographic journey and after a certain distance, we "let it go"! A beautiful image
    that can be enjoyed by all!
    Gail
    Gail, thank you so much. Definitely relate to your comments and I could see the brights coming down another notch.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Late to this one Brian. I love this just as it is. Great lighting, and I really like the backlit crest, the water bubbles on the body, the colours, sharpness...hey...everything!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely image, with super POV. Good comments from Gail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Late to this one Brian. I love this just as it is. Great lighting, and I really like the backlit crest, the water bubbles on the body, the colours, sharpness...hey...everything!
    Paul, very much appreciated and so glad you liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    A lovely image, with super POV. Good comments from Gail.
    Bill, thank you. Hope to see some more posts from you soon!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian very late to the party ....
    Cannot add much , other than fine image !!
    Went peeping with great pleasure .... ... and have a personal suggestion for you .
    I might give the fish ( as some others ) a tiny bit more depth and the 3/4 tones can stand some as well .... IMHO . Selection of 3/4 tones add 33% multiply and soft light .... see how that looks .

Enjoy your high quality output each time .... and like your self reflections !!!! Keep that thing going .... bud !!!!

TFS Andreas