Thread: PP without Photoshop

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default PP without Photoshop

Attached Images Attached Images

A Semi major problem with Photoshop (the creative cloud app corrupted on my computer and no one seems to
    be able to fix it), so although I use Capture One now for RAW processing, I still used PS for Topaz and TK actions.
    So for now I am only using Capture for all processing.
    This is 40% of original image shot at iso1600 with a D500.
    I used only Capture NR and sharpening as well as downsizing and sharpening for posting.
    Complete Capture one start to finish.
    Tell me if you can tell....
    D500, 500pf, f5.6, 1/500, iso1600
    heron-1fin.jpg
    It is still a work in progress...
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Apart from a bit more sharpening on the face and neck, this is pretty nice. Neat perch, good BG. The tongue is a quirky bonus. I'd smooth out the small smudge blow the perch - I suppose that is where PS comes in handy, but you had a great file to work with without needing major processing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with all points already made. I really love the tongue and weathered perch.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image looks soft to me Dan.
    I guess if using Capture One then Topaz was not applied to the raw file am I correct??.....( raw file PSCC/Topaz =WTG)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan, the canvas has a ton of potential with regard to a nice lichen-covered perch, gorgeous bkg and well-lit subject with a sweet tongue out pose.

I do agree with Jon, just softer than normal from you, esp in the eye and head area.

FWIW, I cannot use PS 2021 as it keep crashing. Do you have a version of 2020 on your comp? If so, try that. Or ask support to try putting 2020 on for you; that's what I'm using now and everything is fine. It's one thing I hate about Adobe CC.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all, I can easily sharpen more, that is not an issue, cleaning up noise is..
    Brian, this is worse than that, PS just stopped working completely, wont re-install, the Adobe techs spent
    3 hours in my computer and could not fix... Apple issue apparently which is a nightmare so
    I will just do the best in Capture I can, it could take awhile to get this fixed if you have ever dealt with Apple...
    For Landscape photography, Capture is perfect. For Astro stuff I do, I use other software anyway,
    Adobe is only necessary because of all the plugins for it, otherwise , mediocre at RAW processing,, noise and color anyway, IMO.
    They have such a funny monopoly, if you have ever stacked photos, $24 third party is about 10 times as good, yet
    people use PS because they don't know any better...
    Last edited by dankearl; 02-17-2021 at 04:34 PM.
    Dan Kearl

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan if you you want a super converter that does a fantastic job it is Raw Therapee, but it is so complex, you can download and use it for free but boy does it take some learning!! It made my brain hurt so I went back to ACR.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose and background. Gotta love that tongue. Image does seem a bit soft to me as well.

I stuck with my old version of PS for years, afraid to make the switch to CC for just the reasons you are facing. I finally loaded PS 2021 and haven't had any serious problems (although there were a few things I liked better in my old version), but I'm running Windows. I'll keep my fingers crossed.