Thread: Monopod gear choice

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Monopod gear choice

As a senior, I’m finding my 1dx2, 1.4 extender, and 100-400 ii getting heavy causing me back problems. I’ve decided to go the monopod route as I primarily shoot bif.
    I’m 5’ 10” tall.
    Ive narrowed my choices to the following:
    Robus RCM-439 4-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod, 65"
    wimberley p10 quick release plate
    Wimberley MH-100 MonoGimbal Head
    I’d appreciate any comments pro or con before I pull the trigger.
    Thanks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike,

I have to be honest and say shooting BIF from a monopod might be quite difficult due to all the movements in opposing directions. I take it you're not happy about carrying a tripod around (don't blame you at all if you don't!)

However, if weight is the issue, have you thought about a change of system to something more lightweight? The Olympus EM1x with their 300mm might be worth a consideration.

Know that's not exactly an answer to your question but maybe worth a consideration

Mike

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, I am 77 years old and use a monopod almost exclusively to support the weight of the camera and lens. My camera is a Nikon D500 and I either use a Nikon 80-400mm or a Nikon 500mm PF. The monopod I use is a Oben carbon fiber 4 section. The head on the monopod is the Wimberly MonoGimbal. I have used tilt head, ballheads and maybe others that I have forgotten. None worked until the Wimberly MonoGimbal. The aspect that makes the Wimberly head superior for a monopod is that the camera and lens can be balanced so lifting and moving with the monopod the camera and lens stays balanced. That head on a monopod and a good tripod collar on the lens allows all the movements that a tripod and gimbal head provide. I replaced the tripod collar on my 80-400 lens with a kirk tripod collar. The 500 PF lens I use has a good tripod collar. If I am walking or standing with the monopod collapsed and I see a bird in flight I normally raise camera, lens and monopod to photograph it. If I am sitting or standing with the monopod extended then I focus and follow the bird with the MonoGimbal head unlocked and the tripod collar unlocked. I have a Black Rapid strap attached to the camera so that when walking the camera, lens and monopod is slung across my body with my shoulder bearing the weight. Let me know if you have any questions...
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com