Thread: Chamois (Rupicapra rupicapra)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Chamois (Rupicapra rupicapra)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hy, this is a picture of a dominant male chamois in the rutting season. He is such a gentle and majestic animal. Techs were f 6.3 1/1600, ISO 1250. In DPP I opened up the exposure by 0.83, increased saturation by 1 and in the image colors tab I increased the saturation from 100 to 110. I lowered the standard luminance NR from 3 to 1. In CS 6 I used the levels adjustment, alt clicked on the black triangle, moved it to the right by 8. Did nothing curve wise, resized , used smart sharpen on the chamois at 70%, shadows and highlights at 50% and saved for web. Cropped slightly from LHS and top, so it's maybe 85-90%from FF.
    Last edited by Bretoteanu Dan; 02-14-2021 at 06:13 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, best posting to date, very well done.

I like the initial framing albeit I feel it could go a tad tighter, but still leaving enough room for the Chamois to look into. Overall it's a bit too yellow/orange I think and obviously any twaeks are trying to address the OP and not the raw, but just using the HSL panel in LR I've tried to address the heavy saturated look but being mindful of the colours of the subject, although the coat could go a bit darker/richer in the RP. Smart sharpen vs USM your call, but here I think you could up the sharpening a tad more.

Seems you are getting the hang of things now, but still advise you upgrade to Adobe CC and get the updates as and when are available, all free within the only fee.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

3. Thanks Bretoteanu Dan thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan -- Just loved the subject and framing, beautifully done. I liked Steve's RP , sorted the warmth issue, a bit too yellow for my taste.

I am ok with sharpening and details , but you certainly can up the sharpening.

This is indeed a very nice frame, hope to see more from you.

TFS !

5. Thanks Bretoteanu Dan thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for your compliment Steve:). I agree about the framing, I should have cropped a bit more from the LHS, its too much dead space. In your repost the grass looks a bit drab ( not sure if its the right term), as far as I can remember despite being a walley ravaged by bitter winds in October, the grass wasnt so pale. Never thought about the orange and yelow cast, but playing around in DPP and reducing the saturation of orange by 2 and yellow by 4 gave a more pleasing look. I just realized that there is a purple hue in the fur on the flank ( lowering the saturation in DPP to the maximum, 10 made 90% of it dissapear.) Guess I'll have to start from scratch again and repost. How do you select a subject with a shaggy coat? When selecting the bristling hair on its back the BG crept into my selection, but I left it like that (didnt feel like tracing the contour of every single raised hair strand:). QST traced the contour of its body, but I had to add the raised hair. Oh great, I managed to write another novel again.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for the input Haseeb. As I told Steve, I will look into the orange/yellow/purple saturation in DPP and try another repost. I will try 80% SS, was about to save it like that, but I changed my mind at the last moment, I will see how it looks. He was very peacefull and cooperative, so I will post more images with him in the future.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

In your repost the grass looks a bit drab ( not sure if its the right term), as far as I can remember despite being a walley ravaged by bitter winds in October, the grass wasnt so pale.
    Hi Dan, no problem, I can only go on 'numbers' and what I 'think' the habitat may look like, as I wasn't there, plus with monitors etc, we'll all see thing a little different.

Guess I'll have to start from scratch again and repost.
    Why, just re adjust the Raw, export and provided you have the PS Master File, just drag and drop the new Tiff onto the layers PSD file, then drag to the bottom, highlight the original background layer and the new one so both are highlihjted, then go Align in the PS menu and select the options required ie Left/bottom/Right/Top... and so both layers are then in the same position, you can then do whatever.

How do you select a subject with a shaggy coat?
    Mask & Layers, or Luminosity.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is a repost. In DPP I left saturation at 0, in the image colors tab I left the saturation at 100. In the same tab lowered the yellow saturation by 5, left the orange at 0 and lowered the purple saturation to the maximum, 10. In CS I cropped a bit tighter, levels black triangle at 8. I selected the chamois on one layer and incresead the saturation by 5. Resized and used SS at 80%.
    Last edited by Bretoteanu Dan; 02-16-2021 at 01:26 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks pretty good to me Dan, now you have got this one under your belt, lets see more.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the latest Dan - well done!!

12. Thanks Bretoteanu Dan thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve and Jonathan, will try to keep up the good work:)

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Dan,

A strong image...Techs look good, great pose from the Chamois... Subject stands out beautifully against the background Nice point of view.
    RP looks better, less saturated, more natural colours - very well done

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

15. Thanks Bretoteanu Dan thanked for this post