Thread: Brown bear (Ursus arctos)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown bear (Ursus arctos)

Attached Images Attached Images

I have done a rework on an image captured in Finland 2017, I would appreciate your views on the processing.

Model Name : Canon EOS-1D X
    Lens focal length : 700 mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 5000
    Exposure compensation : +0.3 EV
    Shutter : 1/1250 sec
    Aperture : F5.6

ACR/TopazDNAI/PSCC

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks good I like how prominent the bear is that is what my first impression was. Details look good. I do see some reds or magenta mostly in the grasses which may be normal after the frost. Some on the lower legs of the bear. I think it is fine. I have so much trouble with color cast. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon .... cool looking bear with his different colorations .
    Never been to Finland ... still looks typical from the location from what I have seen .
    Tones and details are looking quite good to me .
    Being honest I am not sure about the overall color variations .... in some areas of the image . But I leave it to you . To be more precise .... some areas showing magentas/reds or cyan/ blue where I think it should be more neutral , IHMO .

He looks quite cute with his facial expression

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon -- Loved the subject and the overall mood in the image. You have done well with the framing and those snow flakes are adding to the scene.

IQ is not finest but still i liked the overall appearance considering the lighting situation .

I do see a lot of blues creeping in the subjects fur and also in the overall image.

Nice one nonetheless, TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Is this shot in the Summer light Jon? The view from the hide has give quite a natural environment, were they still baiting the sites?

Agree, that the colours overall are bit mixed and the image looks/appeaers dark and heavy. Even at ISO5000 the image can be reworked to bring a lot more out IMHO, especially from the raw. I might have gone ISO6400, but I think the EV was way under, probably needed to be nearer +2?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve if I had my camera correctly indicating time it was 5.52pm 3rd June 2017, the site had been baited, I don't think this hide I was in was the best site at all, I think the Fins had the best site, I suspect a dedicated group had pre-booked a specific site, I went with a Tour Operator. The reason I posted is that every time I look at these bear images I get a whole new set of difficulties in trying to make the colours look natural, I may have another look at a different but similar image.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The reason I posted is that every time I look at these bear images I get a whole new set of difficulties in trying to make the colours look natural, I may have another look at a different but similar image.
    Jon, you know eactly how to get colours correct, I just think you make things way too hard for yourself. Keep the WF simple and constant, only tweaking when required, this will mean less time in PP, better images and certainly less hassle, but if you prefer the the hard route your call.

I don't think this hide I was in was the best site at all, I think the Fins had the best site, I suspect a dedicated group had pre-booked a specific site, I went with a Tour Operator.
    If you want Bears & ultimately Avian, then I could let you know, but I'm not making it public as folk have been taking advantage of one or two of my good friends. You'll be close to the Russian border certainly for one element, but obviously only after restrictions have been listed. Certainly some interesting Avian, both big & small, but Winter was cold -32 in the mornings!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.