Thread: Red Fox

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Fox

Attached Images Attached Images

Same Red Fox from Yellowstone a couple weeks ago. I like the Fox not so much the snow. I liked the edge of snow coming up to the fox in the last post. Here I was lower and it blows the snow out. Also I had more trouble getting the blue cast out of the snow. Especially in the foreground.
    Decided this version looked better than pure white without any detail. Removed some of the grasses. Processed with Dpp 4,Photoshop,Topaz noise. Comments and critiques appreciated.
    Canon 1DX 111
    EF 100-400 f/ 4.5-5.6 L Is
    320 mm
    Av 6.3
    1/500
    Iso 2000

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loving the fox and the background, the snow is almost featureless, I would have loved to have seen a small amount of detail there, nevertheless a really eye catching and pleasing shot, well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i like the detail in the foxe's fur, the ears and the intent gaze. The color of the fur and the details in the fur are very nice, though to me it looks a bit oversharpened. Is there no way you could have some detail in the snow, at least in the FG?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin ... nice one . I do like the fox lying on the slope and that gaze is looking good . The distant grass stems are a cool addition , IMHO , well separated .
    I would like to see some detailing in the FG snow .

Regarding your blue cast ... it is still there , even the red coat does have it , albeit slightly . A simple curves adjustment will solve that issue within minutes .... surprised to see some color noise at Iso 2000 . The whites in the fur showing the color noise to a good degree . As a personal thing , I think the blacks should be less dense .

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Kevin,

Very pretty subject and composition is superb. Agree about the colour cast and blacks a tad heavy. I would have gone higher on ISO for more SS. BG is great

Seems the fox wasn't aware of your presence, how did you manage to get so close?

Lovely work, and such nice POV! Enjoyed viewing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kevin , i liked the framing here, well done.

Superb settings and the subject is standing out nicely against the white snow. Slight blue cast there in the image though.

Overall a pretty fine image, TFS !