Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Mandarin duck

  1. #1
    Lifetime Member Mike Poole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    3,080
    Threads
    293
    Thank You Posts

    Default Mandarin duck

    Name:  R5-test-Mandarin-BPN.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  570.2 KB

    Decided to join the mirrorless revolution and got my R5 last night so took it for a trial run in the Manchester doom and gloom today. Lots to learn and will need some work getting it set up but pleased with the initial test shots. I think some decent light and I'll be happy. Shot some songbirds at higher ISO and was pleasantly surprised.

    Would have gone with a higher ISO here with a faster shutter speed had I known but happy enough for a test shot

    Canon R5
    600mm f4 ii
    ISO 3200
    1/400th f4

    Mike

  2. #2
    Avian Moderator gail bisson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    12,469
    Threads
    890
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Hi Mike,
    Good test shot!
    Nice clean and complimentary BG.
    I wish you had enough light to increase your aperture to get the shoulder and top in belly nice and sharp.
    Details in the head and cheek look great.
    Looking forward to your images with the R5.
    Gail

  3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
  4. #3
    BPN Member William Dickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    6,653
    Threads
    925
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Looking good for a test shot Mike...A good duck to test the camera....lovely colours throughout....I like the pose you captured..I'm with Gail re the aperture....but I know where you are coming from regarding the settings...Its been grey up here as well for a while now. Enjoy yer new Camera, I'm so sure we will be seeing some great images in the future.

    Will

  5. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
  6. #4
    BPN Member Brian Sump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    1,505
    Threads
    136
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Mike, congrats on the R5!!

    Envy is running high here man. Would love to capture a Mandi as you did here.

    So ISO 3200 is higher than I've felt comfortable for the most part - I presume you ran some sort of denoise? What else are you doing for post processing?

    Otherwise, Gail's comment on depth of field is noted and your comments understood. I'd also have like a little more below to account for the feet. But colors and contrast of subject vs bkg is outstanding, well done!

  7. #5
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,820
    Threads
    306
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Hi Mike, yahoo for you, welcome to the R5 club! Looks terrific, agree with the DOF, difficult with this position. Colors look wonderful and so sharp, lookin forward to many more. Interested in knowing how you are processing as you have more time with the R5

  8. #6
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the world
    Posts
    18,322
    Threads
    1,101
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Agree on both counts for more DoF & more below, you can push the ISO on the R5 Mike and I have posted at 10K. Yes, like the 5D4 I would say it has a ceiling of around 6400, but in low light, and a slow SS it can bite back because of the amount of px's. If you did also get the R6 then swop it for conditions like this. Is this a crop, you don't say?

    TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: Itís ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

  9. #7
    Lifetime Member Mike Poole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    3,080
    Threads
    293
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Agree on both counts for more DoF & more below, you can push the ISO on the R5 Mike and I have posted at 10K. Yes, like the 5D4 I would say it has a ceiling of around 6400, but in low light, and a slow SS it can bite back because of the amount of px's. If you did also get the R6 then swop it for conditions like this. Is this a crop, you don't say?

    TFS
    Steve
    I took some ISO 5000 stuff later on which looked albeit I won't post here as I was down to even slower shutter speeds then for moving songbirds but moving head aside the rest of the shot looked good for IQ and noiseif that makes sense

    I was going to get the R6, currently deciding whether to see if an R1 appears and if so is it in a reasonable timescale? I can see myself getting an R6...

    For this shot there was a slight image rotation as I was lying on my side trying to get as low as possible so I lost some frame there, then added a little bit back to the left side. As a rough guess I'd say this is about 85-90% of the full frame.

    Mike

  10. #8
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the world
    Posts
    18,322
    Threads
    1,101
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    R1 appears and if so is it in a reasonable timescale? I can see myself getting an R6...
    RX1 has to be around £6k Mike, depends upon how deep your pockets are and how much the differences are I guess to warrant the outlay, but ultimately - is it fit for purpose?

    I lost some frame there, then added a little bit back to the left side.
    Rotate in PS and let it fill-in the gaps, especially with that environment, that easy.
    Post Production: Itís ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

  11. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
  12. #9
    BPN Member Dorian Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    2,314
    Threads
    206
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Who cares about the flat light here?!?!?? This guy really cracks on that steely-gray BG! Love the color and detail. Exposure is spot on. Sure, we could use more DOF across the bird,
    but our eyes go straight to his face as is.

  13. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
  14. #10
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wirral UK
    Posts
    14,327
    Threads
    2,144
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Mike a fine shot, looking forward to more, I am sure you will master the new camera in double quick time.

  15. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
  16. #11
    BPN Member Andreas Liedmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dortmund / Germany
    Posts
    7,953
    Threads
    837
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Hi Mike ... personally I think one of the most attractive duck species on earth .
    Interesting to see the moves of several folks to mirrorless and swopping brands of manufacturers .... when the time comes I will move to mirrorless as well , with pockets full of money , LOL . AS no overseas travel in sight .... so save the bucks , for a Downhill E -MTB or a R1 .

    Hope you will have fun with the new kit and enjoy the advantages of that system .

    Image is a nice start , I really like the colors rendered .... very realistic .... so well done !!!

    Good luck and TFS Andreas

  17. #12
    Lifetime Member Mike Poole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    3,080
    Threads
    293
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Mike, congrats on the R5!!

    Envy is running high here man. Would love to capture a Mandi as you did here.

    So ISO 3200 is higher than I've felt comfortable for the most part - I presume you ran some sort of denoise? What else are you doing for post processing?

    Otherwise, Gail's comment on depth of field is noted and your comments understood. I'd also have like a little more below to account for the feet. But colors and contrast of subject vs bkg is outstanding, well done!
    Hi Brian

    We might have a ready supply of Mandarins in my neck of the woods - but we definitely need some of your light to go with them!

    Not too much on the processing front, got the colours right, then a couple of curves layers. The only NR was to the background - nothing to the bird himself, and a smaller amount to the water

    Got some learning to do, going mirrorless but looking forward to the challenge

    Mike

  18. #13
    Lifetime Member Mike Poole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    3,080
    Threads
    293
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Hi Mike, yahoo for you, welcome to the R5 club! Looks terrific, agree with the DOF, difficult with this position. Colors look wonderful and so sharp, lookin forward to many more. Interested in knowing how you are processing as you have more time with the R5
    Cheers Ann, looking forward to more time spent in this club!

    I've only had one quick shooting session so far, got a week of work coming up io na few days but the British lockdown will prevent anything too exciting being shot sadly. I'm not sure yet what processing changes I'll need to make, as at the moment I have a fairly basic workflow that for the most part I tend to 'eyeball'.

    I first spend time getting the colours as close to neutral as I can (warmth of light taken into account) then look at the different tonal details until I get the luminosity how I want it.

    Resize, then NR and sharpening. That last bit might change soon as I'm awaiting a new computer arriving and just got a great bargain on a top notch Eizo screen and I'm thinking of adding Topaz into the mix for noise reduction which will change the order I do things.

    Either way, I'm not too sure if there will be any major differences to my PP

    cheers

    Mike

  19. #14
    Lifetime Member Mike Poole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    3,080
    Threads
    293
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Mike ... personally I think one of the most attractive duck species on earth .
    Interesting to see the moves of several folks to mirrorless and swopping brands of manufacturers .... when the time comes I will move to mirrorless as well , with pockets full of money , LOL . AS no overseas travel in sight .... so save the bucks , for a Downhill E -MTB or a R1 .

    Hope you will have fun with the new kit and enjoy the advantages of that system .

    Image is a nice start , I really like the colors rendered .... very realistic .... so well done !!!

    Good luck and TFS Andreas
    Cheers Andreas,

    Have a certain Mr Margulis to thank for the colours! Still working on the channel blending and curving as the advantages to this haven't hit home with me yet. Setting up a new computer and Eizo screen in the next week or so, so maybe the changes will become more apparent with the new much improved monitor.

    Mike

  20. #15
    BPN Member Andreas Liedmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dortmund / Germany
    Posts
    7,953
    Threads
    837
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post
    Cheers Andreas,

    Have a certain Mr Margulis to thank for the colours! Still working on the channel blending and curving as the advantages to this haven't hit home with me yet. Setting up a new computer and Eizo screen in the next week or so, so maybe the changes will become more apparent with the new much improved monitor.

    Mike
    Hi Mike good to hear that you are referring to Mr Margulis .... wonder where you got the tip from , LOL !
    I know it is a long way .... but worth it . And channel blending is good , solid and oh so subtle elegant work .

  21. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Web Analytics