Thread: Swallow splash

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Swallow splash

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all. So...shutter speed too slow, Swallow not sharp, overcast conditions...but I like it anyway. These guys are so fast...plenty of them skimming along the lake, but I fired off a burst as two of them splashed and took off.

D500/500PF, 1/2000th sec, f5.6, iso 1600, manual mode HH.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the action but the bird is just too noisy and soft , not much you could do

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is not level, not sharp and noisy, what did you like about it?
    Not being snarky, I am wondering?
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arash/Dan

Dan: No offence taken. Yes, not level, but I'm fine with that. I think that even if an image is not sharp and technically "textbook perfect" (if there's such a thing), it can still be interesting. Many times I'll look at an image and think "I really like that"...it might be the atmosphere/feel of the image, composition, colours, pose, sense of movement. Then after looking further I'll notice the sharpness, noise etc, but it won't affect how I feel about the overall image. I've seen images posted here where I've said "wow" on first looking at it, and for me that might be enough...and then others will pick it to pieces in terms of what the image should look like. So...for me what I like about my image is the action (as Arash has stated) which is the sense of movement in the water, the splashes, the pose, the eyes looking at me and the overall composition.
    Yes, although Id really like the Swallow to be sharper (maybe next time!) I still like it, and that's really all that matters IMHO. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the moment and the splash - you're already aware of the technical shortcomings so enjoy getting one of these in flight and use it for inspiration for the future

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Mike. Stay safe.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul for sure a cool action shot , technically very difficult to execute IMHO .
    At least it is not completely unusable .... to showcase .
    But it does have its limitations .... ... and does not fit the high expectations in places like BPN .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas: I do understand your point of view, but would question where the forum lists what those "high expectations are". Not trying to be argumentative, but one person's view of an image may differ to another person's view, for the reasons given to Dan in my previous post.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul for sure there is no such list ... is just a " gut feeling" . And you are absolutely right ... one cannot ( mostly ) meet all folks tastes and expectations . At first a photograph has to please the photographer ..... and then the rest of the people who can take a look at the image . So all good from my side .... but we as photographers who present their work in a public forum , have to stand the coming critiques wether they are positive or negative . Just my 2 cents .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    but we as photographers who present their work in a public forum , have to stand the coming critiques wether they are positive or negative . Just my 2 cents .
    Andreas: I totally agree here. I really appreciate both +ve and -ve critiques...that's the reason I post here. I've learned so much since becoming a member. I'm continually striving to improve, but sometimes I'll post an image that I really like, despite some technical shortcomings, in the hope that someone else may enjoy it too. To me it's a question of whether or not to post a particular image, and yes, I may have to think more about that "gut feeling" you mention. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul .... is it not great , that you can say you learned in here ??!! You are already a winner !!!

I fully understand your hope , when things have been not ideal in capture or in processing ... still receive positive feedback . But that can be tricky at times ... as said before the technical level is quite high here . So expectations are quite high as a consequence of that .... I think ( my gut feeling ) . And I personally would also think 2 or 3 times longer before I post an image that is not " perfect " in my eyes .
    Again my personal view

In the end it should be fun with a bit of competition and exchange .... nothing more nothing less . I do not have to make a living out of my images ... so can lean back and relax even if my work is not meeting the expectations

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree 100%. Stay safe.