Thread: Stalker's Stare...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stalker's Stare...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R6 100-500 RF 2xtc @1000 f14 1/2700 ISO 1600 HH, Manual EXP, FF

Just started my evening bike ride when I spotted this beauty in full breeding plumes but just beginning transition to the bright green eye ring/lores. Even though right at the edge of the borrow pit's shore with steep downward shoreline, I jumped off bike and positioned ahead of where this beauty was headed. I was about half way down the slope as any further would have spooked the subject(and ever present danger of alligators). So still a little higher than my subject's head. It was about two hours to sunset and light was slightly harsh.

Thanks to everyone for very valued help on previous posts. Please keep it coming.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, Great Egret right?

Anyhow, I always like white on blue so hard to go wrong. However, this one feels like it needed some warmth - maybe try +8 or +10 temp and see what you think.

Big crop? Feels just a tad less IQ than some of your recents, though it may just be me.

4. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    David, Great Egret right?

Anyhow, I always like white on blue so hard to go wrong. However, this one feels like it needed some warmth - maybe try +8 or +10 temp and see what you think.

Big crop? Feels just a tad less IQ than some of your recents, though it may just be me.
    Hi Brian,
    Thanks as always for your very valued help. Imaged in warm and bright( a little harsh to me) light 2 hours before sunset . I cooled slightly in PP (PS raw) and probably shouldn't have. Yes, it's a FF image. Exposing white in bright light always a challenge for me. Any IQ issues are certainly not from cropping (none) and 1/2700 should be more than fast enough. I was close and even at f14, it has a narrow DOF with critical focus right on the eye. Might be slightly over sharpened now that I look closer. Yes to a great egret and it was doing the head from side to side typical behavior before the strike so neck was at varied degrees out of the eye/face/bill critical focus plane. Thanks again, Brian, for your always valued help.
    Peace,
    David

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    Hi Brian,
    Thanks as always for your very valued help. Imaged in warm and bright( a little harsh to me) light 2 hours before sunset . I cooled slightly in PP (PS raw) and probably shouldn't have. Yes, it's a FF image. Exposing white in bright light always a challenge for me. Any IQ issues are certainly not from cropping (none) and 1/2700 should be more than fast enough. I was close and even at f14, it has a narrow DOF with critical focus right on the eye. Might be slightly over sharpened now that I look closer. Yes to a great egret and it was doing the head from side to side typical behavior before the strike so neck was at varied degrees out of the eye/face/bill critical focus plane. Thanks again, Brian, for your always valued help.
    Peace,
    David
    Ok David, thanks for sharing. That all makes sense to me. FWIW, I think you exposed it quite nicely as far as I can tell.

Oh, and I still feel like reducing the color/chroma noise would really help the purity of the detail.

7. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Ok David, thanks for sharing. That all makes sense to me. FWIW, I think you exposed it quite nicely as far as I can tell.

Oh, and I still feel like reducing the color/chroma noise would really help the purity of the detail.
    I hear you, my man. I probably caused it to be worse with my temp adj. Truly always value your thoughts. Thanks again.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David ... having the kit in mind , I think you did quite well .
    Like the clean image design and the subject nicely separated from the BG .
    Agree with Brian about warming things slightly ...

I do like ask again , hoping for an answer , why are you keeping the file in Canon sRGB color profile ??? And are you using the lens correction tab in DPP ??? AS most of your files are showing chromatic aberration !!!!

Brian´s color noise has got nothing to do with the temp slider !!!

TFS Andreas

10. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi David ... having the kit in mind , I think you did quite well .
    Like the clean image design and the subject nicely separated from the BG .
    Agree with Brian about warming things slightly ...

I do like ask again , hoping for an answer , why are you keeping the file in Canon sRGB color profile ??? And are you using the lens correction tab in DPP ??? AS most of your files are showing chromatic aberration !!!!

Brian´s color noise has got nothing to do with the temp slider !!!

TFS Andreas
    Hi, my erudite friend, first and foremost, be patient with this PP idiot. I thought you told me to set color space to sRGB color profile in DPP. Second, thanks to your question I realized I had the lens (RF 100-500) profile for the lens but not the profiles for the lens and TCs in DPP. I believe I have now gotten all three profiles ; Lens alone, lens with 1.4x and lens with 2x in DPP. I previously did not realize the lens with each TC were separate profiles in DPP. In the camera with this lens combo attached, it has lens data for this combo per red tab 3 Lens aberration correction ; Chromatic aberration, diffraction correction, distortion correction and peripheral illumination are all enabled. Should I leave these and uncheck everything in DPP lens tab? Also color space is set to Abobe RGB in camera, Should I set it to sRGB in camera? Please advise and be patient with me. Thanks in advance, as always, for your valued help.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, I like the framing here and the curve of the neck, eluding to that 'ready to strike' pose, overall very clean. Colour looks good, albeit, yes you can get a tad more from the whites and bill, but doubt here it's going to add too much. The sea/water has a nice 'graphic' quality, juxtapose to the subject.

Is it over sharp, no, but what has cause the dark line along the top part of the tip of the bill?

Also color space is set to Abobe RGB in camera, Should I set it to sRGB in camera? Please advise and be patient with me
    David, just to clarify, no one shoots sRGB, your camera is set to Colour Space Adobe RGB, your Working space in PS is Adobe RGB or ProPhoto, so when you export to PS the Tiff is a 16bitt Tiff, the only time sRGB comes into play is for web or Projected images. You leave your Master 16bit Tiff file with all it's layers in tact, never, ever flatten and SAVE, as you export each time you need to output a file from this master file. By leaving it in layers you can in the future make any necessary adjustments, tweaks etc. If you flatten the file you will loose all adjustments and will not be able to replicate it from memory. This is why I like LR, both the Raw and Tiff are next to each other and I can refer to either, in an instant, make a change, re crop etc, and export in a matter of minutes, it's so simple.

Hope that helpss.

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

13. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David .... never told you that !! With sRGB in DPP .... might have been another resource .
    AS Steve said above : Adobe RGB from capture to the final TIF file . Once ready for digital presentation via screen or projector , convert to sRGB color profile .

As you have the Canon sRGB attached , you do not seem to work in Adobe RGB in your workflow . As this does only happen when you save the image straight from DPP or you have no proper " Color Workspace set up " in PS .

Good to hear you have now the necessary profiles in DPP .... if you can , with your eye issues , you still need to check the " color fringing " in certain lighting situations .

Regards Andrreas

15. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi David, your approach to birds is unquestionably good. I guess you're being camouflage. you get portraits :) on all birds. The technique is good anyway, ps we are getting better. greetings. congratulations.

17. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

All good stuff above. Just for the record: this bird is nowhere near breeding plumage. Noting the dusky tip of the upper mandible, I would think that it is a youngster that hatched last season. When they are in breeding plumage you will know it!

I like the image.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

19. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volkan Akgul View Post
    hi David, your approach to birds is unquestionably good. I guess you're being camouflage. you get portraits :) on all birds. The technique is good anyway, ps we are getting better. greetings. congratulations.
    Volkan, The birds in Floria are very tame!

with love, a

Volkan, Florida'daki kuşlar çok uysal!
    sevgi ile, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

21. Thanks David Roach, Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Solid portrait here. I like the pose and the framing. Nice blue water as well.

23. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE = Arthur Morris; 1252439] Volkan, Floria'daki kuşlar çok uysal!

Sevgilerle, bir Volkan, Florida'daki kuşlar çok uysal! sevgi ile, a [/ QUOTE]

hi Artie, I don't know if I'll be sad or happy :)
    thank you with love

25. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the intense stare, 3D eye, water color, sharpness and composition. Nice image David.

27. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post