Thread: Young male Leopard

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Young male Leopard

Attached Images Attached Images

We had been shadowing this young male Leopard for a good apart of the morning, until he decided to sit on top of an old termite mound. He seemed quiet content to do so and as time progressed the leopard continued to patiently wait, so we slowly moved the jeep closer to the entrance hole below. As the Guide looked in, there was the warthog inside, it all then came down to a waiting game and who could last the longest. We decided after some additional waiting to move on... as to the outcome, who knows.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Young male Leopard (Panthera pardus)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X
    Lens: EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM HH (CPL Drop-in filter)
    Exposure: 1/1000s at f/8 ISO800 EV +1
    Original format: Landscape slight crop, FF width
    Processed via: LRC 9.4 & PS2020
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the image quality but I feel the leopard does not engage the viewer so despite this being such a beautiful animal it does not really get my interest for more than a couple of seconds.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the image quality but I feel the leopard does not engage the viewer so despite this being such a beautiful animal it does not really get my interest for more than a couple of seconds.
    Thanks Jon, primarily I took it just to show at around 10m (or less), the subject was really very relaxed and was paying no attention to us. So many times over the years I've seen images posted where the subject is snarling and that just comes down to being way too close.

Just trying to post other images other than looking down the barrel, be interested to know what would engage the viewer, be interested to get your thoughts here Jon, how could it be improved?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... i do like almost everything of this frame , not only because it´s a Leopard .

Nice image quality and the overall colors are spot on . Beautifully rendered fine details , oh i do love to dive into those fine details ... so to speak ... a festive moment for my eyes . Does not matter what kind of image it is .
    Just wish the tree was not there and i might go slightly deeper with the 1/4 tones , i personally would blend the red channel in that tonal range ... as you know if it is coming from my side , just a touch .

I am not with Jon , as i do like the gaze of this stunning eyes and i would ask myself , what got his attention ??? The low POV adds to the overall capture , giving the subject a somehow majestic appearance . just my take

TFS ANdreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thanks Jon, primarily I took it just to show at around 10m (or less), the subject was really very relaxed and was paying no attention to us. So many times over the years I've seen images posted where the subject is snarling and that just comes down to being way too close.

Just trying to post other images other than looking down the barrel, be interested to know what would engage the viewer, be interested to get your thoughts here Jon, how could it be improved?
    Hi Steve - how could it be improved? I don't think it could simple as that. So often we read if the head was turned or if the angle was better or other such remarks, well the head wasn't turned so no use suggesting it because it's too late now! I think it is becoming pointless suggesting these "pointers" such as" if only this or that " especially to experienced photographers because if this or that had happened the chances are the photographer would have got the better angle or pose or whatever.

It's a super image but it doesn't float my boat because the leopard is disassociated with me and its attention elsewhere does not appear to be keenly focused in any way so he does not appear interesting to me other than the image quality is very good. Some folks may say it is good to see him so relaxed that's just fine with me, the point I am trying to make is that he is not doing anything to hold my attention.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's absolutely fine Jon and thanks Andreas for your thoughts too.

Since you replied Jon, the 'engagement' aspect has been like a pin ball for me and perhaps this should be a separate thread, however.... and here I'm just downloading and thinking out loud.

When we take a picture, it's a 'moment in time' we wish to share with folk and as photographers we need to translate a 2D image into a 3D one, but what makes an image? Is it the location, subject, composition, the colours, a behavioural aspect, something unique, pose, etc... Probably quite a few of these elements, but as we know we all see different things and different elements float different folks boats too. Yes I think there are some key factors that every image has to have, but it's that 'engagement' aspect I do wrestle with, but do accept no every image is going to be a prize winner. Just interest to expand and get your thoughts.

I do think though if a subject is looking away it's not necessarily a bad thing, often the case in some Avian images for example where the subject is looking left or right side on.

I guess I'm just looking for some inspiration and endeavouring to get some thoughts exchanged.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon & Steve .... i am so happy that we have the chance to show all sorts of images here in this place , luckily we all have different tastes and we set different points of interests with our " Art" . Would be very boring if we would all agree about the same thing ..... IMHO !!!
    The more diversity .... the better it is , in my eyes . And breaking the " rules" is a good thing ..... BTW who has set up the rules ????
    So we should keep going and photograph what ever we like .... and accept that we might not meet everybody's taste

Happy shooting , Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

LOL, certainly no Rules, just interested to hear what things 'engage' folk in/with an image, that was all.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hy Steve, quite a debate your shot has sparked:). I dissagree with John, the leppard catches my attention, especially because it's looking out of the frame. Reading the story I cant help but wonder what was crossing his mind. "Come on piglit, I aint got all day-sighs-" I find his gaze quite mesmerising, but thats my subjective opinion. The detail in the fur is beautifull and to sum up I really like it. Sadly cant say anithing constructive PP wise, learning the ropes is a long process:)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the setting with the grasses and the mound. Nice to be shooting up instead of down. Nice framing and detail as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Steve, spectacular.

That's all I see when I look at your many photos! "It's so real as if I was there". It's not just natural, it's something different. I think this is the Steve Kaluski brush. There is also an Arthur Morris and Andreas Liedmann brush. '3-DIMENSIONAL' Here's the real question: Does a person want light? Will anyone be able to find it? Everyone thinks they found it. How correct did they find?

Glad you were! Thank you.