Thread: Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a image from the past that I worked on this morning. A Blue-gray Gnatcatcher perched on a Fire Flag flower stem, image captured at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, camera and lens supported by a monopod
    1/2000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV -1 ISO 160 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 400mm (600mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Neat Image for noise reduction when needed, intruding Fire Flag stem removed
    Cropped for composition and presentation

P.S. Learn more about Circle B Bar Reserve, Fire Flag and the Purple Gallinules that feed on the blossom in the BAA Middle Florida Photography Site Guide that Artie and I co-authored. It is available at this link The BAA Middle of Florida Site Guide
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 01-16-2021 at 11:00 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the framing, pose and perch. Landed perfectly to allow details on bird and seed head. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm not normally a big fan of direct stare shots, but there was something about this one that made me smile! Maybe its the oversized eyes, but I like it. Maybe a touch more cropped in if you have the pixels

Mike

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very much like the minimal approach here Joe, exceptionally clean and great backdrop. Perhaps more negative space to the LHS and s liver below, basically pushing things more to the right.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, super fun pose on a very fun perch. Kudos on the creativity to compose this one!

Surely you know I love BGG's, missing them in fact. Wouldn't mind seeing one with less left and a touch more right but I also think this frame works decently.

The stare is cool and the tiny touch of pink helps. TFS!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joseph , love it .
    Super clean image and the " whispy" perch is really cool .
    Personally i think the blues are a bit too intense , specially in the legs . As i do not know the bird i can not tell if the little guy is that blue in the plumage .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a fun image with the whimsical stare and nifty perch. Good BG too. Pointing your lens right an inch more would have been really good, but good stuff here!