Thank You Posts

Default Greenfinch

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 with 1.4iii
    f/5.6
    1/640
    ISO 3200

This is another from my set up in a wooded area close by.....I was happy to see this Greenfinch, as for some unknown reason, they are becoming quite rare here. Tripod...ACR and PS2021...About a 50% crop.

Will

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

No nits from me here Will, great to se a Greenie anytime but the details and framing are superb here. Simple but lovely

Mike

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. The colors are beautiful.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A cracking little subject Will, that perch will be charging usage rights soon.

Think it's looking a bit red/magenta, pegging back the Tint I feel really makes a big difference. I might also add a 40% Midtone curves adj to the subject, just adds a little more, but providing you add it to your Master file and not a flattened Tiff, you can avoid the adjustment making the image too sharp. A small pop of light on the subject also adds a bit more overall separation between the background and the birds which it needs. Great that she gave you a side profile, but just watch your masking especially on the front chest. That backdrop is a killer, proves such a clean background for the subject to shine through. Techs look good and I bet the tripod is helping your shoulder, you just need to invest in the Flexline pro now, super little ball head.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful looking finch. Love that clump of lichen on the perch. Nice framing and pose.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys....appreciated.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    A cracking little subject Will, that perch will be charging usage rights soon.

Think it's looking a bit red/magenta, pegging back the Tint I feel really makes a big difference. I might also add a 40% Midtone curves adj to the subject, just adds a little more, but providing you add it to your Master file and not a flattened Tiff, you can avoid the adjustment making the image too sharp. A small pop of light on the subject also adds a bit more overall separation between the background and the birds which it needs. Great that she gave you a side profile, but just watch your masking especially on the front chest. That backdrop is a killer, proves such a clean background for the subject to shine through. Techs look good and I bet the tripod is helping your shoulder, you just need to invest in the Flexline pro now, super little ball head.

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, thanks for that.....yes that Rothiemurchus perch....gettin a wee bit worn now .....I have a few frames at the same light, and techs....so will keep this info in mind....The location is so much better with the snow on the ground, it just changes everything for the better....the RAW files are so much 'crisper' with the reflective light.....

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, beautiful man. You're getting great mileage from this perch, and rightly so.

Couple great comments above and I too noticed a touch of Magenta in this one.

You brought out the details beautifully. For some reason maybe the perch appears a little thin?

Overall, nicely done as usual my friend!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

it just changes everything for the better....the RAW files are so much 'crisper' with the reflective light.....

Yep, love working in the snow when I get the opportunity Will, it varies so much. Certainly in flat light everything is even with little contrast and certain no saturation, but it's when you get that rich, golden light, life really gets into the frame. To shoot constantly at ISO 400, f/5.6 - 11 and 1/2000 what joy and no excuses, but we don't often get that here, so it's nice when files are clean & crisp.

Will pop you my thoughts FWIW, but retain that Master file of layers, don't get into bad habits and flatten it, you won't be able to replicate it later if need be and if you need to make any tweaks it's so easy Will, this is often the reason why RP change.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    it just changes everything for the better....the RAW files are so much 'crisper' with the reflective light.....

Yep, love working in the snow when I get the opportunity Will, it varies so much. Certainly in flat light everything is even with little contrast and certain no saturation, but it's when you get that rich, golden light, life really gets into the frame. To shoot constantly at ISO 400, f/5.6 - 11 and 1/2000 what joy and no excuses, but we don't often get that here, so it's nice when files are clean & crisp.

Will pop you my thoughts FWIW, but retain that Master file of layers, don't get into bad habits and flatten it, you won't be able to replicate it later if need be and if you need to make any tweaks it's so easy Will, this is often the reason why RP change.
    Hi Steve.....Yes a lot better with correct colour balance....comparing it to mine, I now see the magenta......The bird pops more as well....Been looking at them both side by side for a while Thanks again

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are very welcome Will, food for thought for next time.

If you push that exposure correctly you can forget noise at higher ISO too, it’s a win win situation.

13. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Will, beautiful man. You're getting great mileage from this perch, and rightly so.

Couple great comments above and I too noticed a touch of Magenta in this one.

You brought out the details beautifully. For some reason maybe the perch appears a little thin?

Overall, nicely done as usual my friend!
    Thanks for that Brian....I lowered the contrast a wee bit on the perch.....well spotted...Agree, after looking again...should have left it as is.

Will