Thread: 170° Barred Owl.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 170° Barred Owl.

Attached Images Attached Images

Not quite 180°, but pretty close! This is the same cooperative Barred Owl from close to home. It was really choosing some great perches to hunt and roost from! I knew I had a decent BG if I walked around to the back of it...only problem is that it paid no attention whatsoever to me, so I had to wiggle my boot under the snow to get it to turn its head! It did so only once, and looking rather annoyed, then proceeded to fall asleep...

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/4, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, FF. 2 things I opted to leave in but could very well remove: the peeled bark, and the few snow flakes here and there.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

With that squinting eye this one might do well with a flopped-facial-disk-replacement (FFDR) ... While I like this perch, the one with the whole vole is my choice as best by far ... But I am envious of all of them :)

with love, a
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-14-2021 at 05:02 PM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

ps: I could not resist and in addition, I hated the two spikes on the perch below the bird ...

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

4. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another lovely image Dan....you are so fortunate to have this beauty nearby.....The head turn is soooo cool...Love the detail on the subject. The perch and BG looking good as well. Very nice.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shot again Daniel;- your only fault here was to post it AFTER the last barred owl. That shot relegates this to a 9.9/10, I like Arties work on the RP

Mike

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

More like 168.7 degrees Daniel ;-)

The bkg takes the cake here comparatively, IMO but with that beautiful dorsal shot and even a wink to boot it's a great frame.

Love the snow and the comp. I could probably do without the dangly bark but nice also to have the natural look.

Tell your pet owl to send over its stateside cousins for us Colorado folk!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

How nice to have such a friendly neighbor. (Although he does look just a bit sleepy here.) Lovely BG and perch, too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel another nice frame of your owl .
    Simple image design , nice colors , would not think about a " winter shot " though .
    Love the colorful perch with all the lichen ???
    Personally I might open up the eyes a fraction and the " distractions " should stay in the image , including the rain drops ..... as they are very natural

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys!

Artie, the repost looks great. I kinda like the "annoyed" look of my OP, but yours looks super too!

Andreas, thanks. The eyes are tricky on this species - they are like pitch-black marbles, so I do not want to lift them too much. I agree the image does not look very "winter"!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

We will have to call you barred owl man from now on. Neat how the bird looks like it is winking at you. Very nice pose and framing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ok Daniel , thanks for the additional info