Thread: Great spotted woodpecker (Dendrocopus major)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great spotted woodpecker (Dendrocopus major)

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's woody again, and possibly a slightly better composition
    Image captured in the back garden.
    Olympus E-M1X
    Lens focal length : 300 mm
    Focal length in 35 mm film : 601.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 1250
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/500 sec
    Aperture : F5

ACR/TopazDNAI/PSCC

I appreciate I am slow coming to the party but I made the image 1920px longest axis, I gather the idea is to open the image in a new window and the browser resizes accordingly. I guess this is because the original default view even if 1600px does not present to the best resolution? Having said that I feel if an optimal view is required then there really is no substitute for PS / an image browser.
    If anyone wishes to correct any misapprehensions I would be grateful.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the framing, pose, perch, details and BG. Congrats and TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

He's a handsome chap Jon, I like the look at the tail assisting with the stance. Some of the blacks higher up on the body seem a bit grey to me. Sharpness with the Olympus hasn't let you downhere

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the bird and the perch and the tail and the image design is spot on. Agree with Mr. Poole -- the BLACKs should be blacker.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is looking real good Jon.....The thin perch really makes the bird stand out. All looks good here, maybe a wee bit more contrast on the blacks on the head and shoulder. Resolution looks great here on the iMac. To me, this is probably your best WP image as far as detail on the bird and perch goes....Very nice, I really like it.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, yes I think this comp is better. And subject looks closer to the lens too from my recollections?

Great colors brought out on the subject, really nice perch with tons of interest and love the complimentary splash of orange/red in the bkg.

I've not seen this species but it seems lots of gray and just lacking a little richness in the blacks? I know many are split here but just a touch more I don't think could hurt.

TFS!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this Jon, much prefer it to the previous posting, but saying that, having the tongue visible as the previous, would have elevated this one no question. I also like the fact the body is slightly angled too, not side on. Cracking detail and colour, I wonder if the Silver Birch was more 'cleaner' in terms of colour, you know what I mean, and bark peeling, may have added more separation and texture overall? Might be worth a trip to to the forest after lockfdown, whenever that might be...

TFS
    Steve

PS tickle in that bottom RHC.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much for all the feedback everyone. I beg to differ regarding the blacks, I have looked again and I think it is fine.
    If anyone would like to process the raw file I would be happy to send it to them, I am willing to be persuaded the blacks could be better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... lovely shot .
    Perch does look better than the previous one , copy the tongue from the file and create a composite .... and you are done .

Honestly very nice , processing looks good . Well the blacks can be discussed ... think it is more the 3/4 tones that might can go slightly deeper , but not adding black to them . A gentle curves adjustment or a channel blending will deliver a better result , IMHO .

A real pleasure to look at this frame !!

TFS Andreas

10. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The faint red on the underside reminds me of the red-bellied woodpeckers we have over here. Looks great all around.