Thread: A Hairy Tale

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Hairy Tale

Name:  20201213-Northern-Harrier-juvenile-male-VOLE-TAIL-Brian-Sump-BMS_1685-FORUM-SIG-SS30-touch-PORTR.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  554.2 KB

One of the last shots in the sequence from the Harrier dinner time series.

I went with a vertical crop here and implemented many of the suggestions from last time including leaving a few more pixels.

Feedback welcome.

Canon R5
    840mm
    Handheld
    ISO 1250
    1/2500
    f7.1

LR and PS, DN. Evicted a couple stray grasses and blended, stamped a couple tiny specs.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, what a great encounter, envious!!!

Any shots without the 1.4 on, as having the whole bird in shot with habitat may have offered an alternative POV?? Getting low is where you needed to be and good that you in essence didn't have any grasses over the face. As presented IQ isn't quite there for me, and yes it is quite contrasty in the face. The calling, or screeching is a nice bonus and the head turn too, light looks gorgeous. I think there is some lovely plumage being masked and addressing some of that and then brushing in some soft light over the plumage just adds that warmth. Yes, you do get that blue in the snow, but perhaps just tempering in slightly opens up the BKG a little so you have more separation for the Harrier, again I tend to do this in PS with masks and colour pickers, rather than reducing the blue, but just a thought.

Techs look good and nice too see you keeping that SS high, irrespective of freezing that calling.

Brian, it's just my take based on the OP, lets see what others say.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian a question - Colour space in camera is set to sRGB, do you change it when importing, why not change it in camera and forget it?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great looking capture Brian....The tail of the mouse/vole going down the hatch was captured at the precise moment. The crop brings a 'natural' feel to the image. .....I think I know What Steve is referring to regarding IQ.....I have been going back and forth between this image and the 'Ma..Wheres the meatloaf' one....and it maybe this one was cropped a wee bit more...But, for me both look real good on the iMac .....the 'Ma..Wheres the meatloaf' one I would say better IQ here. Steve see's things I don't.... but when he see's them, he is probably 99.2% correct....

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

LOL Will, we are working on things, but the original capture was the right choice IMHO.

Watch this space...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The disappearing tail makes this a really memorable image, but I agree that the IQ isn't quite as good as some of the other images you've recently posted. It's still really, really good; it's just not perfect.

I think the habitat is a nice complement here. All our attention goes to his mouth, and there's little distraction in that region of the image.

The processing looks fine to me, but I'm neither as keen or picky as others. How heavy a crop is this? Curious if what we're seeing is a processing issue or something more fundamental (i.e heavy crop)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve and Will, thank you for taking time to comment.

Not every image is a winner I guess, that's ok. This is about 40% crop from vertical, which should be fine starting with 45mp. Will, glad it looks good to you.

RE contrast, still building up from a very flat starting point. Spent lots of time on this one; processed twice in fact, but some to be desired it seems. Yes, I shoot in sRGB as I mostly post online.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, change the Camera setting, Colour Space to Adobe RGB and forget it. Camera shoots Adobe RGB, your ‘Working’ Colour Space in LR & PS should be set to Adobe RGB or Adobe ProPhoto, that’s it. The only time you convert to sRGB is for web or projected images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian ..... the tip of the mouse tail disappearing , makes this for me !!
    Love the warm winter light and the blueish shadows ... does look quite natural . Colors and their hues up to the viewers taste , so will leave that to you .
    I am ok with the tones in the plumage from mid tones to the 3/4 tones , the really dark tones are not really mine .... I understand Steve on that front . Just a matter of different tastes ....

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    The disappearing tail makes this a really memorable image, but I agree that the IQ isn't quite as good as some of the other images you've recently posted. It's still really, really good; it's just not perfect.

I think the habitat is a nice complement here. All our attention goes to his mouth, and there's little distraction in that region of the image.

The processing looks fine to me, but I'm neither as keen or picky as others. How heavy a crop is this? Curious if what we're seeing is a processing issue or something more fundamental (i.e heavy crop)
    Dorian, much appreciated. I am a work in progress man....

So this is only about 40% crop and still 3600 pix tall before resize. I don't think that constitutes a big fall off in IQ as the one from the December theme (The Meatloaf) was 60% crop.

I wonder if you cover the eye, does it change your view? I have always believed the undeveloped iris screws with how it's viewed. Def want to get to the bottom of it tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Brian ..... the tip of the mouse tail disappearing , makes this for me !!
    Love the warm winter light and the blueish shadows ... does look quite natural . Colors and their hues up to the viewers taste , so will leave that to you .
    I am ok with the tones in the plumage from mid tones to the 3/4 tones , the really dark tones are not really mine .... I understand Steve on that front . Just a matter of different tastes ....

TFS Andreas
    Andreas, thanks man! I'm glad you like it overall.

I hear you on the darks. Still working through the kinds on Harriers and Killdeer.