Thread: Glossy in a morning drizzle...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Glossy in a morning drizzle...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R6 RF 100-500 @500 f7.1 1/800 ISO 1600 HH, Manual EXP, medium crop for composition, extricated tip of another birds bill, BG is field of purple pickerel

Thanks as always for very valued help on previous posts. Please keep it coming.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very simple shot David, but subject has nice details and the comp is sound from my view.

Love the rich green palette, very nice bkg. However I found my eyes being distracted by that light blue/purple spot between the bill and body - I think because it matches the bill so well. Mixing colors a touch there might just help the subject pop more.

Keep rockin' the R6!

4. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, really like the killer backdrop, having variations in the green really makes for a great BKG and adds huge separation for the subject.

Frame works and being parallel just nails the subject, how much of a crop David? Personally I would go with a minimum of 1/1000, the ISO will marginally go up, IQ is fine, but irrespective of the IS it just gives you a bit more when HH IMHO, if it was the R5 then 1/1600 or 1/2000. Colour as presented looks OK, but have you tinkered with the greens at all, as to get a starting point the Tint slider really needs to go to around -20. Also is there some form of masking around the iridescent wing plumage? Avoiding stuff like Levels & Contrast, but using some simple Curves you can pullout some more definition within that wing plumage, creating some nice definition. There is still some sharpening halos, albeit in limited areas, but it's not as obvious as some images, sorry old habits die hard David,but have covered the reason enough times.

Well done.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

6. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the bird, the parallel pose, and the BKGR. And especially the neat colors on the visible wing coverts. For me, the image design is quite awkward as there is too much dead space in front of the bird. I do agree with the Flying Duckman on the distracting light-blob -- it should be easy to eliminate that. Was the bird sitting on a railing?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

8. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Love the bird, the parallel pose, and the BKGR. And especially the neat colors on the visible wing coverts. For me, the image design is quite awkward as there is too much dead space in front of the bird. I do agree with the Flying Duckman on the distracting light-blob -- it should be easy to eliminate that. Was the bird sitting on a railing?

with love, artie
    Thanks to all for very valued help. Artie, perched on a pond apple with bird behind jostling for position. ~70% of FF