Thread: Chicken Little

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Chicken Little

Attached Images Attached Images

Female Lesser Prairie Chicken flying into a LEK in Eastern Colorado. ACR for WB, lifted shadows slightly. PS crop and reposition, noise reduction and unsharp mask 40 % 3.3 radius.

Nikon D500
    1/3200 f8 ISO 1100
    500 mm w 1.4

comments and feedback appreciated

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Vaughn, I like the flying pose and head angle. Your techs look good, but the image appears very under exposed, even now and guess this is why you had to lift the shadows creating a lot of visible noise. As presented I like bit more space below and a fraction less above. Your sharpening amount isn't bad albeit perhaps a few more rounds, but your radius is excessive and should be way below 1.

Are you shooting ETTR (Expose to the Right) to maximise better data capture and in turn helps with noise and ultimately an almost perfect exposure. If not search on Artie's blog on how to do this.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a beauty, Vaughn and fantastic pose and BG. Yes to brighter and some noise issues. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Vaughn, excellent job to grab this one! I love that they're called Prairie Chickens, lol.

So yeah, aside from some visible noise the subject is sharp across the image which is great. Bkg is creamy and complimentary.

A touch looser crop from all side would probably enhance the viewer's experience IMO.

Nicely done my friend!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    What a beauty, Vaughn and fantastic pose and BG. Yes to brighter and some noise issues. TFS
    Thanks David - brighter worked - noise? Maybe a Canon camera.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Vaughn, excellent job to grab this one! I love that they're called Prairie Chickens, lol.

So yeah, aside from some visible noise the subject is sharp across the image which is great. Bkg is creamy and complimentary.

A touch looser crop from all side would probably enhance the viewer's experience IMO.

Nicely done my friend!
    Thanks Brian - will see shat I can do with the cropping.

You should give this experience a shot if you get the chance, I got to go thanks to Covid - International travel left a blind open . total darkness birds making noise all around you while your in the blind. Then the sun starts to breach the horizon, birds are going into high gear and the light is changing drastically for the next 15 minutes then a good hour of barnyard style scrapping amongst the males.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn Larsen View Post
    Thanks Brian - will see shat I can do with the cropping.

You should give this experience a shot if you get the chance, I got to go thanks to Covid - International travel left a blind open . total darkness birds making noise all around you while your in the blind. Then the sun starts to breach the horizon, birds are going into high gear and the light is changing drastically for the next 15 minutes then a good hour of barnyard style scrapping amongst the males.
    Vaughn, sounds amazing. Love to know details...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome, Vaughn.

Love the sharpness and the sweet background. You do not see many good flight shots of prairie chickens. Lots of good advice. I ran Topaz DeNoise on Low Light on the whole image, pulled up the Curve to brighten it, and smoothed out the upper background. You can learn more about Topaz DeNoise on my blog for about the past month. And you can learn to better expose to the right with my RawDigger guide. You can find that info on the blog too :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

9. Thanks Vaughn Larsen thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks much Artie - I am really enjoying this community, learning a bunch and stretching my ideas.

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A great flight pose of this chicken little. Artie's RP addressed the minor issues I saw in the OP. Agree with Brian about a slightly looser crop. Would love to have this frame (or anything of this species) in my files. Sounds like a great experience.

13. Thanks Vaughn Larsen thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    A great flight pose of this chicken little. Artie's RP addressed the minor issues I saw in the OP. Agree with Brian about a slightly looser crop. Would love to have this frame (or anything of this species) in my files. Sounds like a great experience.
    Thanks for the kind words Bill. I think catching one of the 5 species at least is worth the pursuit.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a fantastic pose you got here! Good advice, good repost, and I love your description of events while waiting and then working with these subjects. Sounds like a lot of fun!