Thread: Big Horn ram

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Big Horn ram

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot this last month in the Sd Badlands. Processed with Dpp 4,Photoshop and Topaz noise. Comments and critiques appreciated. Thanks to Andreas Liedmann for all the help with processing especially taking the time on my last post with Dpp 4.Also to Steve Kaluski for his help.
    Canon 1DX 111
    500 f/4 L Is 11
    500 mm
    Manual
    1/2000
    Iso 3200

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin any more below and to the RHS?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin .... I hope you hear Steve´s words .... image is crying soooo loud for that !!!!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would have liked more Steve took off the converter to get this. That is a problem with a prime lens.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it as is but I think a little judicious use of the Clarity Texture and Dehaze could prove to be very beneficial on the horns and coat.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin, parking the framing issue, I think this is perhaps your best, both colour and sharpening appear about right. Nice detail, no halos and light is even in terms of colour, no heavy casts. Not wishing to tread on Jon's toes, my only suggestion would be using a Luminosity layer and add some Mid tones, retaining the lights, but upping both mid & three quarter. Clarity, Texture & Dehaze are ALL Contrast (sharpening) based adjustments. Like Levels and other adjustment and so you want to add some contrast without sharpening. You don't say what f/stop kevin, but remember if they are getting close you may find you runout of DoF.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin ... no problem , Mr Liedmann is willing to help if necessary . Just gave you some guidelines .... hope you got them sorted . At least this frame is quite nice in general .... very good from the technical aspect POV !!!
    Take it easy and don't overdo things , Rome was not build in one day .... as well .
    The detail looks very nice and super fine ... well done on that front . Color matter of taste .... at least you did not push it . The same is valued for the tones .... glad you did not push the things . Steve gave you good short advice , what can be done .

Jon will become quickly blue toenails .... as I would also step on them .... LOL !!!! My suggestion would be, stay away from the " quick & dirty contrast enhancements " like DEHAZE, CLARITY and the worst of the three TEXTURE ..... but this is just only my view .

TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve for the suggestions. I was at f/9

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If the Ram was say 2-3m away, f/8 that would be a good frame ish. Remember the closer the subject is to you, the quicker you run out of DoF, camera has to work quicker/harder, but sometimes slowing the frame rate, using the right Case, gives the camera time to predict for the AF.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it. Nice light and setting. THe ewes in the background give some nice balance. This Would have also made a nice vertical with jus the ram.