Thread: Big Horn sheep ewe

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Big Horn sheep ewe

Attached Images Attached Images

One of the sheep I took last month at Sd Badlands. Processed with Dpp 4,Photoshop topaz noise. I am pretty happy with this overall except for the whites on the rump. I just didn't get the values down or detail. The more I worked with it started looking dirty or a yellow cast. I didn't do any eye work. Comments and critiques appreciated.
    Canon 1DX 111
    500 f/4L Is
    Manual
    500 mm
    1/1600
    Iso 1250

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin, having the head lower and just the rump breaking the horizon isn't an issue, if the head was up, then line then through the body might have been. Again as per the previous image, I find the saturation a tad dominating and perhaps to a degree, masking the details. The white rump, isn't blown, but I'm sure more detail could be extracted, this is where sometimes you need to think in the field - do I go for a more under exposed and lift things in PP, but will it hurt the image? Framing may be a little more all round, but not a deal breaker. Th eye with the light looks OK. Techs look about right, good SS.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin ... nice capture of this Big Horn female .
    You have some nice light and the head half way down helped with the BG , just echoing Steve´s words . Framing works well as does the overall tonal range , but agree the `whites`could have some more detail .
    I am fine with the color and saturation as such .... but understand what Steve is talking about . For me the oranges ( when processed with DPP ) are our " enemy " in most images , depending on the chosen picture style they can be really " bad" !!!!!! At least , this is my experience and preference to reduce them in every " warmer colored " image by up to -3 .

TFS Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image appears rather yellow to me, (I also Andreas giving me that tip about the orange colours in DPP!),I wonder if the contrast is a little high also? From a composition POV I think I would add a little more sky.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice light and setting. The pose is kind of akward. Looks like the ewe is about to bed down.