Thread: Canon C-RAW for R5 / R6

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Canon C-RAW for R5 / R6

Hi,

I'm about to get into the Canon Mirrorless system. I really fancied the Sony gear but I can (one day!) get to some locations with the cash I can save by going back to Canon!

As ever, I'm doing loads of research but just wondered if any of you R5 / R6 users are using the 'traditional' RAW format or the space saving C-RAW?

Knowing how keen on absolute details we are around here I thought this was a good place to ask the question!

Happy new year all

Mike

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, been using C-RAW for two years now with the R and now R6. Researched a very thorough article before deciding but bottom line is you will never see difference even if the most devout pixel peeper. Hope this helps and Happy New Year.

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just shoot Raw full stop Mike. No difference with R5 or 6 I have found, just make sure you get a 128 card and the fastest 64 minimum, if it’s the R5, or the equivalent UHS II for the R6. Amazon did the best price for the Sandisk card reader for CF express. Best check with Canon about the EF adapter ring, as the offer may have finished. If you do decided to go with whatever, make sure any accessories you may feel you may need, order ALL at the same time, as wait times are long, R6 is slightly better.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

5. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks gents, I guess I'll have to see if I run into any buffer problems and take it from there.

No that that's likely with the current shooting opportunities !

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Happy New year Mike! Welcome back to the right/white side!
    I have been using both RAW and C-RAW. I see absolutely no difference in IQ in the images.
    If a bird is close and perched and I am doing "studio" shots I use RAW. But when shooting action or BIF,
    I have had occasions when my Prograde CF Express 512GB buffer got filled up and I had to wait about 30 seconds before I could shoot again so
    now I shoot C-RAW for anticipated action and BIF.
    Gail
    PS Off topic but I now shoot mostly mechanical shutter. It is super quiet and at 12 FPS is fine for me. When I use electronic shutter I am shooting hundreds of images ( and 90% look the same)
    and spend most of my time deleting hundreds of identical images. I miss the sound of a shutter and often realize that I have been pressing the shutter and shooting and did not even realize it!
    Last edited by gail bisson; 01-02-2021 at 05:48 PM.

8. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Gail, that's similar to how I was thinking of starting off. It'll be a couple weeks before I'm out and about at best, but it's always nice to have a starting point.

Looking forward to working my way through all the settings - not!!

Happy new year

regards

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike, I think you are worrying about something that you really don't need too, in a days shoot, would you really fill a 128 & 64 in one sitting???? With C-Raw they predict around a 40% saving, but you don't really know what it's discarding whilst compressing, and I personally do not know anyone shooting C-Raw, maybe Sports togs, but for your needs stick to Raw. If you are really concerned about filling cards, buffering then look at the Olympus system which has some useful technology, but....

If you are coming back into the Canon fold (great), then it's quite simple, what camera body suits you, your requirements and one key factor, where will you mainly be shooting (available light) and perhaps a question you haven't asked, will you be wanting it for underwater use? Once you have the right body for your needs, the rest is academic. However, with the new strain of CV-19 it looks like no one is going far in the next 6 months!!!!

In almost a year with the EOS-1DX MK3 and the last three month shooting with the R5 & 6 I have never had an issue with buffering, locking up or filling cards and the Firmware updates have addressed any early teething issues IMHO. Agree with Gail, keep to Mechanical and choose the moments for Electronic, but I still think depending on the situation the camera may not always shoot at it's full potential (ie 17 rather than 20fps), not that you would notice it. Plus, think of all the time you would need to review each frame with the minute change, and subsequent storage required.

Good luck.

PS The R5s might be looming later this year....
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Steve

I'll probably get both bodies as I prefer a 2 camera setup. Regards underwater use I'm keeping my Nikon D500 - I have a great setup with that rig and going full frame underwater presents problems with cost / weight / wide angle flexibility.

My only concern over C-RAW was the buffer. My shoots are not time dependant so I'm not to concerned about the culling time I have.

The R5s? I suppose we can wait forever for the next great thing - maybe the fabled R1x that will no doubt arrive one day but for now I think these are the best 2 options for what we shoot on these boards.

I did consider getting a used 200-400 instead of the 100-400ii and R6 but for the amount of use I'd get out of it and the great IQ my last 100-400ii had I think I'll go with the cheaper lens, so the lineup will be R5, R6, 600mm f4 with converters, 100-400ii and an as yet to be decided wide angle zoom

That should keep me going for now!

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll probably get both bodies as I prefer a 2 camera setup.
    Perfect, best of both worlds as the set-up can be mirrored and buttons will all be identical, so thumb recognition, no problem.

My only concern over C-RAW was the buffer. My shoots are not time dependant so I'm not to concerned about the culling time I have.
    Park it, no idea where you got the buffer issue from, but just forget it.

The R5s? I suppose we can wait forever for the next great thing - maybe the fabled R1x that will no doubt arrive one day but for now I think these are the best 2 options for what we shoot on these boards.
    Wait, prices will be more, PX will go down, so your call.

I did consider getting a used 200-400 instead of the 100-400ii and R6 but for the amount of use I'd get out of it and the great IQ my last 100-400ii had I think I'll go with the cheaper lens, so the lineup will be R5, R6, 600mm f4 with converters, 100-400ii and an as yet to be decided wide angle zoom
    Just for ease the 100-400MKII with the 1.4x super sharp, 600 EF rather than the RF, EF might be upgraded in '21, WA for what, when would you use it?????

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The buffer issue, and hence the initial question is from internet chatter rather than first hand experience - I should have known better really!

The wide angle is just to try some close focus wide angle stuff whilst we're pretty much in lockdown and not travelling much - maybe get a project or 2 going. Might be a flop but who cares, not my livelihood!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The buffer issue, and hence the initial question is from internet chatter rather than first hand experience - I should have known better really!
    LOL Mike, just like PP.

The wide angle is just to try some close focus wide angle stuff whilst we're pretty much in lockdown and not travelling much - maybe get a project or 2 going. Might be a flop but who cares, not my livelihood!
    Great, you might then need to think about remote triggers etc...