Thread: Ruddy Turnstone in Norway

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ruddy Turnstone in Norway

Attached Images Attached Images

HI
    Some of you might know this one, but it's one of my favourite pictures from last year.
    I have no camera at the moment and the weather is really bad, so I show something older...

This was on one of the very few sunny days up there and I was really lucky with the little hill he chose, to call :-)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent photo Jan. Love the pose, colors, details. Thank you for sharing. The only thing that doesnt really fit imo is that lonely white flower in the bottom right corner. For some reason my eye keeps going to it.

Alfred Forns

Jan this is one Sweet image !!!!! Love the tones and setting Don't often see these guys with such a bg !!! Might park the one little flower as Tom suggested Big Time Congrats !!!!! Love it!!!

hugh robateau

Nice image, Jan! You didn't post your techs but it seems that you had sufficient depth of field to get everything pretty much in focus. (Or sharp).

DanWalters

Great shot! Really like the comp and the colors.

Axel Hildebrandt

I certainly remember this image. Too good to forget. :) Could you post some techs?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI
    It was taken with 1D Mark IIn + 4/600 L IS + 1,4x TC
    F11 ISO400

Dobromir Dobrinov

Beautiful image,the light is very good.BG and composition are great!!!

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa

Well Jan, I see many reasons this image to be your favourite one - the timing of the bird being with open beak and some kind of cute smile on the face, the non distracting warm green BG and the vital foregroung too. I like the composition, the well balanced colors.

My only regret is that the whole bird is not sharply on focus - the legs and the tail. You have to certainly close the apperture to do this.

regards and good luck!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

hey, this is already F 11,I was shooting at midnight, so there's not much light available... I would say there's no way to get him completely sharp in this pose. I have a lot more poses where the bird is totally sharp, but I prefer the more frontal pose.

Why does it have to be completely sharp ?

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Wegener View Post

Why does it have to be completely sharp ?
    I remember when I saw this image for the first time that I was surprised that the legs are not in focus since you stopped down to f/11. I don't think the bird has to be in focus entirely and in this pose it is simply impossible. The legs are so prominent, however, that they draw a lot of attention.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

:eek:
    Love it and have been loved it. Very nice image. It should not be tack sharp all around. The most important thing is the eye as you direct your eyes there immediately after opening a file. This is fine.
    The white flower??? Hmmm... interesting point but just showing the diversity of the habitat he is in. Not eyes taking at all for me. To far from the eye of the Ruddy;).
    The only problem with this image is that it is not my property :D
    Szimi

Albert Froneman

Excellent image Jan - I really enjoy the composition and behaviour! VVWD from me! :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Deinitely one of the best shorebird images Ive ever seen. This one has it all Jan. Just awesome.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic shot!!!
    I Iove the colors the details and BG!