Thread: A brief "tern" in the weather...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A brief "tern" in the weather...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R6 RF 100-500 @500 f7.1 1/5300 ISO 3200 HH, Manual EXP, ~40% crop

As I arrived at the local beach 2 hours before sunset, storm clouds were gathering. I love to get white shorebirds against brooding storm clouds. The western sun was still unblocked as I worked the local pelicans but then was quickly covered as the clouds moved to the west. Many grey day gulls were to be had as I practiced my panning. Then just before sunset, the golden orb peaked through a brief hole in the clouds. Spotted this beauty with the golden glow, tugged on SS only as no time for two dial (would have reduced ISO) turns in full manual mode.

Thanks as always for all valued comments and help on previous posts. Please keep them coming.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, could you not use an extender to avoid the crop?

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi David, could you not use an extender to avoid the crop?

Steve
    Yes, and I have both but not with me on this evening. Thought the vest (with both converters was packed in trunk (senior moment...) but was not the case when I arrived. On the brighter side, better than arriving with no memory card (Done that before...)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK.

On the brighter side, better than arriving with no memory card (Done that before...)
    Oh I did that once when Alison was lecturing at Harvard, I went Whale watching... never again, but now you can use the Custom function!!!!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

6. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lighting is really stunning, David. Action is great and the wider comp really highlights the contrast between bird and clouds. Love the big orange beak. Detail and sharpness are pretty good. Shutter 1/5300?

There seem to be several processing artifacts around the bird; there is something along the front edge of the lower/right wing and some circular thing in the crook between the upper/left wing and neck.

My suspicion is that this could really sing if reprocessed without whatever generated those artifacts.

8. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the light and the flight pose. I agree the tern looks great against the dark storm clouds.

10. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    Lighting is really stunning, David. Action is great and the wider comp really highlights the contrast between bird and clouds. Love the big orange beak. Detail and sharpness are pretty good. Shutter 1/5300?

There seem to be several processing artifacts around the bird; there is something along the front edge of the lower/right wing and some circular thing in the crook between the upper/left wing and neck.

My suspicion is that this could really sing if reprocessed without whatever generated those artifacts.
    Oh Dorian, I was trying to remember what I did to cause those as the processing was minimal. Then I remembered, that's my lazy man PP. I hit both shadows with one too large dodge brush. Not gonna do that again and as always thanks to all for very valued comments and those eagle eyes.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David .... cool tern shot in super light and the stormy sky is giving the perfect BG , way better than the often seen blue sky !!! So well done on that end .
    Comp works well ...

Oh well ... Dorian caught you and your brushy work .... there is some fancy coloring along some edges when having a closer look , wonder where those colors come from ???

TFS Andreas

13. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi David .... cool tern shot in super light and the stormy sky is giving the perfect BG , way better than the often seen blue sky !!! So well done on that end .
    Comp works well ...

Oh well ... Dorian caught you and your brushy work .... there is some fancy coloring along some edges when having a closer look , wonder where those colors come from ???

TFS Andreas
    First, my friend, you saying you don't know much about photography on the petrel post really made me laugh. With my partial color blindness, honestly can't see what you are referring to. So, I simply went back and reprocessed from scratch with no vibrance or saturation ( I tend to bump slightly as it helps me see color) adjustments and no selections or dodging or burning. Just the basics. Better or not?

Thanks again everyone...
    Last edited by David Roach; 12-29-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, not sure this helps and whether your colour blindness can differentiate these adjustments (be good to know), as Vibrances pushes the yellows, Saturation only affects the top 50% of colour ie 50-100. Not knowing what you want to achieve, there might be a better adjustment within PS, but overall it’s looking good in terms of the overall colour palette.

16. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, nice job getting this one man!

Won't echo previous praises but definitely had a really nice angle here.

FWIW, the og post seemed to lack sharpness for me, esp in the head area. But the repost actually appears quite a bit better, so great job on that, whatever you did!

18. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    David, nice job getting this one man!

Won't echo previous praises but definitely had a really nice angle here.

FWIW, the og post seemed to lack sharpness for me, esp in the head area. But the repost actually appears quite a bit better, so great job on that, whatever you did!
    Hi Brian, Yes, apparently just about everyone here likes their images sharper than I. So, they must be right. As you know, the images off the sensor are always tach sharp as long as the camera hits where it is supposed to or myself in cases of using single point (needing this way less). My problem is I always prefer (my personal preference)very minimal sharpening for presentation. So, I'm starting to get where I like and strengthening a little more. Just loving your duck series, BTW.
    Peace,
    David

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The tern looks great against those dark clouds bathed in the golden light. Nice and sharp with good detail as well.

21. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I prefer the light of the first and the details look better on the second one.
    Dan Kearl

23. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    Hi Brian, Yes, apparently just about everyone here likes their images sharper than I. So, they must be right. As you know, the images off the sensor are always tach sharp as long as the camera hits where it is supposed to or myself in cases of using single point (needing this way less). My problem is I always prefer (my personal preference)very minimal sharpening for presentation. So, I'm starting to get where I like and strengthening a little more. Just loving your duck series, BTW.
    Peace,
    David
    For sure man. If you like it that's what matters most, and def don't mean to come down hard on you with the sharpening. But when details leap off the page it can def create some wow.

Really appreciate your comments RE ducks. Thought I would dread the winter waiting for the spring flora and perched birds but have had a nice time with the waterfowl.

25. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    For sure man. If you like it that's what matters most, and def don't mean to come down hard on you with the sharpening. But when details leap off the page it can def create some wow.

Really appreciate your comments RE ducks. Thought I would dread the winter waiting for the spring flora and perched birds but have had a nice time with the waterfowl.
    Come down as hard as you like, my friend, all your critiques and comments always valued and seen as constructive. Much respect and gratitude for your help...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

you got some nice light, agree with comments above. it doesn't look quite tacks sharp to me

the main issue with this image is however the HA which is turned away from us ever so slightly and doesn't make a strong connection to the viewer. it's really the tiny subtle details that make all the difference

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

28. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    you got some nice light, agree with comments above. it doesn't look quite tacks sharp to me

the main issue with this image is however the HA which is turned away from us ever so slightly and doesn't make a strong connection to the viewer. it's really the tiny subtle details that make all the difference

TFS
    Hi Arash and thank you for your always very valued inputs. So, at 20 FPS found a just earlier in this sequence image before this beauty started to slightly angle away. Same crop and processing as last post except a little more sharpening for presentation. What do you think? Still need more? Thanks again for your help.

ps
    There's a fine line between crisp and crunchy and I'm still searching for it. All the frames in this sequence had focus box on head.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This one has a bit better HA for sure but the far wing position isn’t all that great. Sometimes there are no good frames to keep in a sequence even at 20fps. Happens all the time.

the focus box on the head doesn’t necessarily mean the cameras was able to focus and that the head is sharp. It is not clear the softness here is from focus or processing. As posted it looks soft to me if the raw was sharp it should be easy to fix in processing

best
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

31. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post