Thread: Wingsup Wigeon

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wingsup Wigeon

Name:  20201224-Wigeon-Drake-wingsup-Brian-Sump-BMS_6997-FORUM-SIG-SS33-brush-touch-levelsmids-sat-brus.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  587.7 KB

Was pleased to find a gathering of Wigeons down the river. Hard to miss their unique squack (if you will).

Canon R5
    600mm
    Handheld
    ISO 1600
    1/5000
    f5.6

LR and PS, DN (started in Adobe Neutral and built up from there). Added a bit of canvas and smoothed a couple bkg spots.
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 12-27-2020 at 09:58 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice and sharp like all your recent stuff, except for the Green on the head, this looks very washed out to me.
    I am sure the file is great, I would add some color. You are shooting DFC in good light, you should not be processing much....
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan, thanks for the compliment.

Great point on the sat. I ran some extra vib/sat but can see it still falls short. Still coming accustom to starting in Natural vs Color profile.

How do you like this instead?

**** EDIT: I could not get saturation adjusted properly in LR so I started from scratch in DPP. Here is the result.

This is one of the most frustrating things to me about the R5 is that some files work better in LR and some in DPP. I guess I just try each shot in both and see ****

Name:  20201224-Wigeon-Drake-wingsup-Brian-Sump-BMS_6997-FORUM-SIG-SS33-eye-magdown-touch-DPP-v4.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  576.7 KB
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 12-28-2020 at 09:51 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Depending on the season they look like this where I live and it is still a bland Wigeon....
    Maybe not bland. Average, non breeding
    Sump.jpg
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I said "wow" when I saw this...it really hits you in the face...great detail and sharpness. The most recent post is my favourite of the three. Exposure looks spot on and a lovely BG too. Looks like the R5/600 combo is a winner!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, very nice indeed.

Adobe Neutral, you call. Overall the OP works for me, although I might go less magenta and slightly warmer on the belly, but not as far as Dan's that's over cooked, love the water droplets. My only niggle are the wings, they appear quite grainy, creating the impression that area has been lifted, whites look spot on.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Flying Duckman, Where are you getting these backgrounds from? Heaven? My first thought when I looked at the OP was that the midtones on the bird could go a bit darker. As I scrolled down I saw Dan's repost and thought the some extra saturation on the belly would not hurt.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is excellent: pose, wings, BG, etc. Your repost looks the truest to color, especially on the pink flanks. I have nothing of this species. They are on every pond around here but literally never fly. They just walk around on the adjoining grass.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian ..... another super cool " duck in flight " shot . Perfectly timed and executed in the field .....

I know you like it a bit more " contrasty " , so will leave it to you . Very interesting to hear your thoughts about the colors in LR/ DPP .... some work here others work there better ??!! My thought is one just needs to master the colors in DPP or LR . One needs to know the " tendency of the Canon colors" in DPP in the various picture styles .... I always lower the oranges in DPP depending on the image by -1 to -3 .
    But this for sure only my view ...and color is subjective .

Steve - also raised a question why you choose " Adobe Color Profile " ??? I would echo that question .... but guess you like the profile for it's color/contrast style .

Regardless of my thoughts , a stunning frame

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

. Hi Brian, lots to like here and i agree, a hybrid of DPP and LR, not a clear choice, I like Dan's repost bc the midtones and saturation look more representative

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    I said "wow" when I saw this...it really hits you in the face...great detail and sharpness. The most recent post is my favourite of the three. Exposure looks spot on and a lovely BG too. Looks like the R5/600 combo is a winner!
    Paul, well I guess "wow" can mean really good or really bad haha. I am thankful that you like this one.

RE the R5/600, it's been an adjustment for sure but I think it's up for the challenge :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Brian, very nice indeed.

Adobe Neutral, you call. Overall the OP works for me, although I might go less magenta and slightly warmer on the belly, but not as far as Dan's that's over cooked, love the water droplets. My only niggle are the wings, they appear quite grainy, creating the impression that area has been lifted, whites look spot on.

TFS
    Steve
    Steve, really only three viable options in LR afa I am concerned - Color, Standard and Neutral (no flat for Canon). But yeah, it's definitely a huge adjustment switching from Color to Neutral.

I think I see what you are referring to on the wings - you mean the leading edges near the wrists? No lifting done in terms of exp and such. The raw files show graininess there so must be attributed to the species/season/age.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Flying Duckman, Where are you getting these backgrounds from? Heaven? My first thought when I looked at the OP was that the midtones on the bird could go a bit darker. As I scrolled down I saw Dan's repost and thought the some extra saturation on the belly would not hurt.

with love, artie
    Artie, well... you know a little prayer goes a long way ;-) Nah, I work hard to get the right setting in the field; sometimes it pays off, others not so much.

RE mid tones, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    This is excellent: pose, wings, BG, etc. Your repost looks the truest to color, especially on the pink flanks. I have nothing of this species. They are on every pond around here but literally never fly. They just walk around on the adjoining grass.
    Thanks man. I agree with you on the colors - DPP wins here hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Brian ..... another super cool " duck in flight " shot . Perfectly timed and executed in the field .....

I know you like it a bit more " contrasty " , so will leave it to you . Very interesting to hear your thoughts about the colors in LR/ DPP .... some work here others work there better ??!! My thought is one just needs to master the colors in DPP or LR . One needs to know the " tendency of the Canon colors" in DPP in the various picture styles .... I always lower the oranges in DPP depending on the image by -1 to -3 .
    But this for sure only my view ...and color is subjective .

Steve - also raised a question why you choose " Adobe Color Profile " ??? I would echo that question .... but guess you like the profile for it's color/contrast style .

Regardless of my thoughts , a stunning frame

TFS Andreas
    Andreas, thank you for your encouraging comments!

Historically I chose Adobe Color with Nikon. It was more contrasty but better colors IMO. I have been working to start with Neutral but it's kicking my butt. Just need more time and practice and unfortunately, there are times I really don't like it vs DPP. No matter what I tried editing the OP, I could not come close to producing the colors shown in the RP outside of DPP, unless I literally brushed colors in.

Thanks for the note on oranges. I am trying to be able to just stick with one, but not feeling comfortable enough to do so at this point.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is what I ultimately landed on:

Name:  20201224-Wigeon-Drake-wingsup-Brian-Sump-BMS_6997-FORUM-SIG-SS33-eye-magdown-touch-DPP-midsdown-.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  578.9 KB

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Brian, for me it's somewhere between the two, but the green is still an issue I feel, this was what I had thought when writing my original reply in trying to 'temper' the day-glow green anything else was me 'fiddling'.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian as far as I know .... there is " Camera Neutral, Faithful etc " as an option in LR/ACR .

Steve once told me ... ( specially when one is not confident yet with the whole processing stuff , regardless of personal prefs in terms of color and tone ) let the image rest for a day , before producing too many variants in one go , and become mixed up !!! Think he was bang on with his suggestion .....

And then look at the variants side by side in PS .... which one is meeting your expectations the most .

Just my 2 cents

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really digging this one. Nice you don't have any shadows on the far wing. The light is quite nice. Dan's repost takes it up a notch.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The flight pose is perfection. The OP looked good to me, although my first impression was also that the bird looked pale compared to the Wigeons we see on the East Coast. I don't know if there is a regional variation? Anyway, it's a gorgeous shot.