Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Eider

  1. #1
    BPN Member William Dickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    6,662
    Threads
    927
    Thank You Posts

    Default Eider

    Attached Images Attached Images
     
    Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 with 1.4iii
    f/5.6
    1/5000
    ISO 640

    At this time of the year the male Eiders are coming closer to shore for the winter in my home town...They usually swim away or dive, when you get toooo close....so was happy to get a fly pass....I captured this one very late evening from my usual perch on the rocks at low tide....HH...ACR and PS2021

    Will

  2. #2
    Publisher Arthur Morris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indian Lake Estates, FL
    Posts
    31,136
    Threads
    1,374
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Astounding bird. Incredibly sharp. Perfect processing. Sweet light. If it were mine -- I can only wish -- I would add some canvas right and above.

    Mazel tov on this one.

    with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

    BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

    Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

    E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.










  3. #3
    BPN Member Jim Crosswell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Stoney Point, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    6,847
    Threads
    510
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    I like the exposure, BG, details and sharpness. Arthur's composition suggestion would be nice if you have the canvas. Very well done Will.

  4. #4
    BPN Member William Dickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    6,662
    Threads
    927
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Astounding bird. Incredibly sharp. Perfect processing. Sweet light. If it were mine -- I can only wish -- I would add some canvas right and above.

    Mazel tov on this one.

    with love, artie
    Thanks for that Artie....I was prob thinking....show the detail ....but you are correct...more BG would be more pleasing to the eye.

    Will

  5. #5
    BPN Member William Dickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    6,662
    Threads
    927
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crosswell View Post
    I like the exposure, BG, details and sharpness. Arthur's composition suggestion would be nice if you have the canvas. Very well done Will.
    Thanks Jim....yes I think we are both thinking the same re the crop....I do have the canvas.....

    Will

  6. #6
    Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,555
    Threads
    543
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Spectacular capture in every respect, William. The quality of the light, detail/sharpness throughout, angle of flight, background, and more. Extremely well done.


    Geoffrey




    http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

  7. #7
    BPN Member dankearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    8,357
    Threads
    1,261
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Wow... congrats, I also want more canvas..Such a great subject.
    Dan Kearl

  8. #8
    BPN Member Brian Sump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    1,505
    Threads
    136
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    What a sweetie Will. Many great comments I won't echo but the drama here with the lighting and the inbound flight path are super.

    Contrast looks great. Only improvement other than crop that I can see is maybe just a slightly more quartered light angle to get a bit more of the beautiful white in the opposing wing.

    A stunning frame sir, very nicely done!

  9. #9
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wirral UK
    Posts
    14,351
    Threads
    2,147
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    That's a cracker Will - well done, super wing position and gorgeous light, this shot perfectly illustrates my previously mentioned point regarding shadows on birds in flight - what is wrong with a bit of shadow it is perfectly natural. I think that is the best shot I have seen of an eider duck in flight.

  10. #10
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Sunrise, Fl
    Posts
    2,868
    Threads
    449
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Simply sublime... Both subject and your treatment. TFS

    ps
    Love the light and shadows...

  11. #11
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    149
    Threads
    33
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Love this! Only thing I would do is agree with Artie on the extra canvas. Great job!

  12. #12
    BPN Member Brian Sump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    1,505
    Threads
    136
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    That's a cracker Will - well done, super wing position and gorgeous light, this shot perfectly illustrates my previously mentioned point regarding shadows on birds in flight - what is wrong with a bit of shadow it is perfectly natural. I think that is the best shot I have seen of an eider duck in flight.
    Jonathan, there can be so many points of debate in this forum. That said, to me, this shot is superb as I stated to Will. Please don't misconstrue any of my words suggesting it's not incredible but one will often read folks saying things like, "the only way you could improve it" or "only suggestion is..." and hopefully it's done respectfully and tactfully. That's what this platform is for, no?

    But what can separate a fantastic shot from an all-world shot is, among other things, small parts of the frame such as shadows. There's not anything 'wrong' with a wing shadow per se, however imagine the same frame with more of that wing well lit. Would you agree it might likely improve it?

    I have super high standards for myself, more and more with time. And there are several frames that didn't make it here from me because of less than ideal shadows. Then there are ones like the Goldeneyes that I worked very hard on to achieve as close to a perfect angle with no shadow as possible. While there will certainly be many to come on my end that are posted with slight shadows, there's an intrinsic goal to minimize them. It doesn't bother me a bit if anyone posts with wing shadows. However, someone, somewhere will capture the same or similar with subtle improvements. Heck, maybe Will chooses to go back out and try again. Elite photographers get shots that the less-than-elite don't. I'd certainly put Will up there with the elite, shadow or not.
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 12-15-2020 at 05:13 PM.

  13. #13
    Avian Moderator gail bisson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    12,469
    Threads
    890
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    This is fantastic Will.
    Just add a bit more room and you get 10/10 from me!
    Love the light and the BG.
    Bravo,
    Gail

  14. #14
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wirral UK
    Posts
    14,351
    Threads
    2,147
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Jonathan, there can be so many points of debate in this forum. That said, to me, this shot is superb as I stated to Will. Please don't misconstrue any of my words suggesting it's not incredible but one will often read folks saying things like, "the only way you could improve it" or "only suggestion is..." and hopefully it's done respectfully and tactfully. That's what this platform is for, no?

    But what can separate a fantastic shot from an all-world shot is, among other things, small parts of the frame such as shadows. There's not anything 'wrong' with a wing shadow per se, however imagine the same frame with more of that wing well lit. Would you agree it might likely improve it?

    I have super high standards for myself, more and more with time. And there are several frames that didn't make it here from me because of less than ideal shadows. Then there are ones like the Goldeneyes that I worked very hard on to achieve as close to a perfect angle with no shadow as possible. While there will certainly be many to come on my end that are posted with slight shadows, there's an intrinsic goal to minimize them. It doesn't bother me a bit if anyone posts with wing shadows. However, someone, somewhere will capture the same or similar with subtle improvements. Heck, maybe Will chooses to go back out and try again. Elite photographers get shots that the less-than-elite don't. I'd certainly put Will up there with the elite, shadow or not.
    Brian I accept what you say, I agree your comments are constructive polite and respectful - I wasn't having a dig at you - I am sorry if you thought I was!

  15. #15
    Avian Moderator Stu Bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Centurion, South Africa
    Posts
    21,281
    Threads
    1,404
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Hi Will, you have absolutely nailed this. Sweeeet light, great flying pose, and the detail and sharpness are simply tops. Very well captured mate.

  16. #16
    BPN Member William Dickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    6,662
    Threads
    927
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Thanks for the views and comments guys........Much appreciated..

    Will

  17. #17
    Lifetime Member Mike Poole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    3,080
    Threads
    293
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Bang on Will, beautiful light and sharpness bang on. Great spot you have there, glad you make the most of it

    Mike

  18. #18
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    9,377
    Threads
    1,595
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Love the light on this one. Gorgeous frame.

  19. #19
    BPN Member William Dickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    6,662
    Threads
    927
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Thanks Mike and John...

    Will

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Web Analytics