Thread: RawDigger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default RawDigger

I purchased RawDigger a few days ago (at a good discount offer) thinking it may be useful. I like the fact that it displays the pixels that are over or underexposed in my raw files, and therefore I can adjust the exposure in those areas in my workflow. However, I'm finding the manual very difficult to understand...it is highly technical, and the online videos are even worse...too much technical jargon and numbers.
    So...apart from the exposure facility I can't see how it is beneficial. I'm obviously wrong? but wish there was a tutorial that goes through it in simple English. Cheers

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Paul... the majority of the software out there does have a shadow/ highlight warning , if not all of them . So why would one run another piece of software ???

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

RawDigger shows the under/over exposed pixels at the Raw level, whereas camera raw etc show the info based on a jpeg. I've since purchased Fastrawviewer which has the raw data as well as a fast preview of raw files for culling and editing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That would mean ... the histogram is useless ??
    Had a quick research about the histogram in Capture One , and as far as i could find out . It shows the actual raw data .....not created from the jpeg ???!!

And if you use ACR with the standard settings , you are not having access to the " real raw data" .... as ACR is applying a lot of stuff behind the scenes .
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 12-08-2020 at 07:30 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I guess the raw histogram shows what highlights/shadows are clipped and therefore allows one to then know whether it's a keeper for post processing. I think that the "blinkies" on the camera LCD are not so accurate as they're based on the jpeg.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    RawDigger shows the under/over exposed pixels at the Raw level, whereas camera raw etc show the info based on a jpeg. I've since purchased Fastrawviewer which has the raw data as well as a fast preview of raw files for culling and editing.
    t

Hi Paul, I believe that Camera Raw and Lightroom show the highlight and shadow clipping on the Raw image, not on a JPEG. If the image opened is a JPEG then it would show the highlight and shadow clipping on that, the same if the image is a TIFF. The LCD on the camera shows clipping on a JPEG because to show on the LCD the RAW data has to be converted to a JPEG. On my Nikon D500 I set the Picture Control to Flat, so that no processing is done by the camera. Flat shows a better histogram to evaluate any clipping and I find it a good starting point for developing images in Lightroom.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Last edited by Paul Burdett; 12-25-2020 at 04:04 PM.