Thank You Posts

Default Crossbill

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 with 2x iii
    f/8
    1/400
    ISO 3200

I captured this one yesterday afternoon in a pine wood near to my hometown....This is a first for me..they are so difficult to get close to as they forage amongst the pine cones at the top of the pine trees. Luckily for me this bird chose a young tree, so I managed, with the help of a nearby small banken, a decent POV. HH. ACR and PS2021.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Definitely a tough bird to get close to at a reasonable angle, nice work. Great details and a nice look back pose. - a surprisingly tough shot that's been done well

Mike

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You did quite well to get such a detailed and colorful view. Congrats and even better luck next time. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, good to see ya!

Such unique species with the bill like that. Nice pop of orange/red here too and nice pose.

The bkg here is a touch busy but honestly, my main nit is the subject is quite a bit noisier than usual for you. Not sure why, maybe high ISO or lifting exp but it takes away from the frame a good bit I'm afraid from my view.

Hope to see more shots from you soon...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi William for sure a great sighting .... I am envious

You did quite well under the given lighting and setting .... for sure it would have been nicer to have a cleaner BG , but we have to take what nature is giving us . So thumbs up from my side .

Not so happy with the noise , I must say .... the used kit should perform way better at that " low Iso " .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

These guys eluded me when I was in NY so mazel tov! I like it and the BKGR noise did not bother me. But I was thinking a small crop from the left and above so I ran it through DeNoise AI on Auto and it cleaned it up beautifully. See most of my recent blog posts for info and a nice discount on the Topaz stuff.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments guys....appreciated.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    These guys eluded me when I was in NY so mazel tov! I like it and the BKGR noise did not bother me. But I was thinking a small crop from the left and above so I ran it through DeNoise AI on Auto and it cleaned it up beautifully. See most of my recent blog posts for info and a nice discount on the Topaz stuff.

with love, a
    Thanks for that Artie....I did use DN AI, but not on auto....I applied it manually, but obviously not enough....

Will

9. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, great look back pose, and the colour of the Crossbill pops against the winter BG. Congrats on your first of this guy.
    Keep warm in that weather of yours mate.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work getting him near eye level. It shows that bill very nicely. Artie's RP does help with the noise.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Bowie View Post
    Hi Will, great look back pose, and the colour of the Crossbill pops against the winter BG. Congrats on your first of this guy.
    Keep warm in that weather of yours mate.
    Thanks Stu....It's great to hear from you ....hope yer son is getting on ok...and after the Covid, may see you over here for a day out at the Red Grouse

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Nice work getting him near eye level. It shows that bill very nicely. Artie's RP does help with the noise.
    Thanks Bill...much appreciated...I was just glad to get him to stop and pose...at 1/400 I knew I was too slow and at ISO 3200..I knew I would be at my limit, as I had a fair sized crop....I managed a few keepers..so was happy.

Will